BTX = no more legacy ports?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I setup my first BTX based system the other day (Dell 9100) and it didn't have any legacy ports. Is that just that machine or is BTX legacy free? Also, from looking inside and at the Dell web site, it looks like it sucks air in through the front and blows it over the CPU heatsink and then into the case. Is that possible? It sounds like early ATX all over again, which was quickly found to be a bad idea. The hard drive bays are on the bottom of the case right which has lots of tiny holes (ventilation?) in it. If air gets sucked in through those holes, I can see them getting cloged with dust real quick. Is there supposed to be an advantage to BTX, especially flipping everything left to right? Motherboards have been on the right side forever and it always worked fine.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I don't think that is defined in the standard. More than likely Dell's decision.

I have yet to deal with BTX systems, but based on this (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1876&p=2) the air goes in the front, through the CPU heatsink, over the GPU then into the case.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Good article. Thanks.

4. sholnay

sholnay New Member

from anadtech if you missed it:

"The move to BTX will also bring us closer to a fully legacy-free PC, with PS/2, serial and parallel ports already beginning to disappear from prototype motherboards."

5. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Intel started pushing BTX because of heat management issues with their newer CPUs. The mobo design itself is also supposed to be more efficient at moving data due to shorter traces between the CPU and northbridge and I/O ports.