BSOD Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hom3lesshom3boy, Nov 11, 2009.

1. hom3lesshom3boy

hom3lesshom3boy New Member

Just recently my 1 yr old custom rig has been acting up with 2 different BSODs. The first is a STOP:0x1E with a "NDIS.sys - address FFFFFADF900FA839 base at FFFFFADF900AB000, Datestamp 45d699f1" that doesn't occur quite as often, and the second is a 0x3b. In both instances the dump to physical memory countdown goes off.

At first I thought it had something to do with my vid card after doing some googling, especially since this started to occur after I ran a MS Update. But I've since rolled back the driver and the bsods still keep happening.

I thought it had something to do with my memory, but I ran this memtest program (http://hcidesign.com/memtest/) overnight and got no errors.

They occur randomly, ranging from within the first 5 minutes of booting to after days, and from watching vids on wmp to typing up an essay.

Sorry I don't have that much information to give you guys, but I'm not quite sure what else would be relevant. Here are my specs though:

mobo: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R (rev1.0), Bios vF7
    CPU: Intel E7300
    GPU: Nvidia 9600GT
    Ram: Crucial Ballistics PC6400, (2x2g)
    HD: Samsung HD103UJ (1 TB)

I hope someone can help me out here! Thanks in advance.

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I have a 9600gtx and I was getting bsod after a ms update as well. I removed the drivers using a driver removal tool and installed the latest nvidia build, problem went away. Not to say that it will solve your problem but might give you some starting point.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Just for grins, and because it fixed my last BSODs, clear the pagefile.
    Control Panel->System->Advanced->Performance->Settings-Advanced->Change (you think they buried it enough?)
    Take note of the settings here
    Select: No paging file
    Click "Set"
    Click OK until you're completely out and restart
    Defrag, because it's a good idea
    Then go back to the same place and reset the same settings.
    If it was set to "System managed size" try using the Custom size...

For a driver removal tool, DriverSweeper is great http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

4. hom3lesshom3boy

hom3lesshom3boy New Member

So I'm back from using some of the suggestions you guys have posted on here. I tried CCleaner and Driver Sweeper, both in safe mode, and it doesn't do anything. I tried downloading the newest drivers for my 9600GT and I think that made the problem worse. BSODs happened more frequently and only flash for a second before restarting. When my computer does restart after one of these, it sometimes doesn't even make it to the desktop and starts in this restart loop.

I got frustrated and completely uninstalled my vid card driver and ran Driver Sweeper and CCleaner again. This has stopped the BSODs but now my computer just freezes up after a few minutes of video and makes a "rrr"ing noise through the speakers. So I'm thinking it had to do with WMP, or old codecs, so I'm test running random videos on youtube and videos I have on my hd. That's where I'm at right now.

I don't see anything eating away at my ram according to Windows Task Manager and my cpus are running at a consistent 35C.

Any suggestions?