Brutal Legend v. Disappointed at the Tower Defense Aspect

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by hellodon, Oct 25, 2009.

1. hellodon

hellodon

I was excited for this game for a long time....
    I played the demo and loved it....
    I bought it the day it came out....

I was having a blast playing it for hours....Then the "stage battles" started. The main parts of the game required to advance.

If you havent played this, basically what the stage battles are, are the main parts of the story with everyone involved. You have a stage setup, some fans, and a crew..and you're battling some enemies and a main boss type dude in a battle towards their side. You use some standard fighting techniques like a god of war type game.....but the majority of it is a strategy style...and that's one genre I just could never get into.

The first 3-4 of these 'stage battles" were okay. I was able to win by just fighting everyone that came towards me while the others would help and attack too...but now they've gotten harder and you actually have to play and control like a squad in a real time strategy type of game moving your team to the other side to attack their main stage. Controlling them, telling them where to move, what the fight, losing guys, rebuilding guys, rebuilding "merch booths"...its exactly what I DON'T want to do when I'm playing a game...

And there were absolutely NO signs that this game was like that...totally mislead, especially by the demo. I wouldnt be so disappointed if I thought it was one thing, then played the demo and realized what it really was...but the demo is so misleading, they don't give you ANY sign that this game has real time strategy elements and its basically the MAIN part of the game.

I am SOOOO disappointed by this. I do not enjoy real time strategy games. I was hoping that it was temporary or optional or at the very least, that it wouldnt be often .... but it seems like every "major" move in the game is this type of stage so you HAVE to play them and they're just getting more and more time consuming. The most recent one I played was about 70 minutes and I ended up losing. So I've gotta play it over again. Creating my "army" and moving them towards the other side. My friend just said that the NEXT one after the one I am at was over 2 hours.....and he hadnt actually completed the battle, he just had to leave so he had to shut it down after that long.

I wish I would have known this - I wouldnt have bought this game. I really feel that it ruins the fun. I've never been into strategy games. Tried a few and they're just not my thing....and I seriously feel duped by this. I bet if you're a tower defense/RTS type gamer you'd really like this because it's a great game otherwise, and those parts seem like they're fun for a strategy type game - but I do not like that style so its really just tedious to me...and sadly, the longest parts of the game.

The worst part is, there are a ton of fun aspects to this game. All of the side quests and open world type stuff is really fun. And the story is great. But even if I play EVERY other part of the game, the part I need to play to advance the story are these tower defense parts. And I guess there are a ton more coming up and as I said, they're just getting harder and take more time. I want to see the whole story....but I really am not enjoying these parts of the game....what a let down. I dont want to shelf this game, but I am not having fun anymore.... :(

Anyone else surprised/upset by this negative turn in a seemingly great game?

CLIFFS:
    Brutal Legend turned out to be more of a real time strategy/Tower Defense type of game, which was completely unexpected and I am not at all happy about it :wtc:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. sony

sony Active Member

yeah they were pretty deceiving with the promotion of this game :sad2:

3. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

Chitty Chitty Gang Bang OTCC

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics and God of War. Sooo... Double win going on here for me.

4. vicious151

vicious151 OT Supporter

I actually didnt mind it so much, the best thing you can do is immediately take all the soul pits. If you can manage that it's really pretty easy, but I see what you mean they really had no kind of marketing scheme that let you know that the game is part strategy. I was a little disappointed as well but I still love this game.

5. hellodon

hellodon

Totally. They never show the strategy parts anywhere. They never mentioned it. They didnt put it in the demo. I think they realize that those parts suck and probably got a shitty overall response to those parts. They could have made the demo like they did, but instead of the boss battle, put the first defense battle so you could say "oh...is this how it's gonna be? Not really feelin that"

That demo makes it seems like its going to be such a fun fighting/action style game. Driving parts, killing guys god of war style, crazy weapons, guitar weapons, metal, guitar hero style parts.......right after that intro/demo, you play one other cool part of the story where you meet Lemmy then go to the Spider place - but then everything since then (literally hours) has been the same thing over and over.... "drive here, start the stage battle real time strategy part, do a side mission or 2 if you want (which are also repetitive)" repeat....for the rest of the game (possibly?)

Its seriously almost like they made this great 2 hour game, then just made filler for X amt of time so that it wasnt so short....I have played a few hours past the beginning and have done NOTHING like that first 90 minutes of the game again...which was the best part.

6. Alvin

Alvin New Member

I was pissed off by this too but then I realized that you can collect all the solos and basically faceroll the RTS parts with them.

7. nabechu

nabechu New Member

I found the RTS portion of the game really easy. Just take over all of the enemy soul pits and protect them while attacking their stage. I liked the game overall even though it was a bit short, finished it in a little under 7hrs.