Brush guard worth it?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by individual, Apr 25, 2006.

1. individual

individual New Member

I'm thinking about putting one on the frontier. How much damage does it prevent if I wear to rear end someone or something?

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Full replacement or just adding brush guard to existing bumper?

3. individual

individual New Member

just adding brush guard to existing bumper

4. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

It'll probably bend if you hit hard enough that it would've hurt your truck without it.

I know a guy that had a full replacement that is still fighting with insurance company because they think it prevented his airbags from deploying.....about 100mph accident.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Most brushguards cause more damage in a collision than they prevent... Nissan makes some good ones if you get a genuine-nissan from the parts department... Much better than Westin or similar aftermarket designs... But I still wouldn't trust it to actually protect in a collision -- they are for looks, not much function.

A full replacement bumper WILL protect you, but as mentioned, they take the brunt of the collision, which transmits more energy through your frame (where they attach) and can even prevent airbags from deploying, or cause them to deploy when they shouldn't (airbags use deceleration sensors calibrated to the crash characteristics of the un-modified vehicle)

6. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

only good reason for a brushguard is for a winch mount and extra lighting, On the trail itll help you out if you hit a tree or sumthin but on the road not much help.