GUN brown truck sweetness

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SnakeEater, Jan 23, 2009.

1. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

200 rds
    [​IMG]
    of 6.8
    though,i`ve read that it`s not as hot as some of the SSA stuff

2. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Which arm did you give them?

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

oh snap

hunting deer with the AR are we

4. Crossett

Crossett New Member

price?

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Fuck that, I don't even want to know.

6. Crossett

Crossett New Member

i do, i want to build a long range AR and am contemplating 6.8...

how bad is it?

7. 6.8 is a cool cartridge, but there are lots of better cartridges for a long range AR.

8. Crossett

Crossett New Member

that will use the spare 5.56 lower i have?

9. Yeah. Look into 6.5 Grendel, 6mm AR, and .223AI. They're all better long range cartridges. Actually, even something like a 75+ gr. .223 will give you better long range ballisics than a 6.8. The 6.8 was designed to do more damage to living targets than the 5.56, it was never intended to be a long range cartridge.

10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

11. Crossett

Crossett New Member

hmm, after a quick google search thats a tough choice. who makes barrels/uppers/mags in those calibers?

12. The 6.5 Grendel is made by a number of places, Alexander Arms is the company that developed it. Sabre defence makes uppers. There are a lot of places that offer barrels and other parts. Check out 65grendel.com for info. The 6mm AR and .223AI are more specialized, and would require custom barrels. Of course a standard .223 loaded with heavy bullets wouldn't require anything special.

Again, I don't mean to imply there's anything wrong with the 6.8, just that it was never intended to be a long range cartridge.

13. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

hence my deer huntin with the AR guess.

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

oh and market

what mags are used with 6.8? with 6.5?

how baller would it be if they could use 5.56 mags somehow

15. I know the 6.8 uses dedicated mags. I don't know much about them. The 6.5 uses a dedicated mag as well, and the 6mm AR can use 6.5 mags. Of course the .223AI can use regular mags. Actually, it seems the 6.8 and 6.5 (thus the 6mm AR as well) can feed from the same mags.

16. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i could find out here in a couple weeks if the 6.8 and 6.5 can feed from the same.
    btw,MG,did you get your JP tube/rail in yet?if so,what was the wait time

17. I have had my JP handguard for a while now. I ended up selling my 24" AA barrel, and I ordered another barrel, but AA is so backordered I got sock of waiting and cancelled it. My dad has a 16" Grendel barrel lying around that he said he'd sell me, so I might take that. I just found a stripped upper today. All I need now is a bolt carrier, charging handle, and midlength gas tube. I have some Wolf Gold Grendel ammo already, and 100 AA stamped Lapua brass, a few hundred bullets, powder, primers, and the Grendel dies already.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Not exactly about the 223AI. I've only heard of one that ran (guy was from 24hourcamfire), using "tweaked" factory mags. AI cartridges as a rule generally don't feel well in autoloaders, due in part to the lack of body taper, and the sharp shoulder. Some people even have trouble feeding them outta boltguns, but neither I nor no one I know has had that problem (I just hear people bitching about it on various 'sites). Sometimes bending the feed lips outward a little bit is required, but thats not hardly rocket science.

The (relatively) short OAL of AR mags really cock-blocks the system from making the best out of .224 bullets. My favorite .224 bullet, by far, is the 75AMAX, but it's too long to be loaded mag length in AR's. That bullet is so damn good, it's honestly part of the reason I don't care for AR's that much.

Load better bullets into a normal AR, and you might end up suprised at it's capibilities.

19. It's a shame that the best case shapes are always the hardest to feed. And yeah, the OAL issues the AR platform has sucks. You can always single load rounds though.

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

never heard of 223 AI. interesting.

its primary use is...?? long range competitions I assume?

21. Varminting too. Pushing bullets even faster than a .223 gives you a flatter trajectory. There's some good info here, about halfway down the page.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Nah, not really. It was originally conceived as somewhat of a walk-around varmint round that was really flat shooting. Bullets kinda sucked back when it was first created, but with the advent of the heavy 224's, it's the new rage.

With the exception of potential feeding issues (which in a boltgun aren't a real problem), it's pretty much all around better than the 223Rem. A 223AI pushing a 75'MAX will hang with a 308/175SMK out to 1k as far as ballistics go. Fucking way cool shit. Glen Seekins is making a DBM kit for 700's that is pretty much tailored for it.

MG beat me to the punch with the 6mmBR link. SnipersHide, and 24hourcampfire also have some good reference material. Look for a really dickheaded Alaskan's posts, and see whats up.