GUN Brought home dad's 303 SMLE.....try2

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by McCroskey, Jan 18, 2010.

1. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Went to my parents' home for Mom's birthday and finally remembered to bring home dad's Brit 303 SMLE (he's deceased). I let my brother have the horde of 22s and whatnot.

Dad bought this out of a magazine for something like $11 in the mid 50s as WW2 surplus, ordered a Mauser but they sent him a 303, he took a few deer with it (grew up/lived in Wyoming) with the battle sights. Before he died he tried to fashion a scope mount for it...I'm not too confident it's going to cope with the recoil and I don't know what he did with the rear sight :(

Anyway....303 "jungle carbine" SMLE...action is still smooth, wood is in good shape, barrel looks good. Some things that I'm not sure about are the stock design and the lack of the flared bit on the end of most 'jungle carbine' barrels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shit's old son.
    [​IMG]

2. eric5678

eric5678 striving for mediocrity OT Supporter

It's good to have things around that both of you have/had interest in.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

that looks like a nice heirloom... the only firearm i have of my dad's is the marlin 75, that he taught me about shooting and saftey with.

4. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but that's no "Jungle Carbine" it's a sporterized/bubba'd run of the mill Enfield.

5. McCroskey

doesn't surprise me at all. :dunno:

6. Mystical Badger

Mystical Badger New Member

It's a Rifle No.4 Mk.1 manufactured at ROF Maltby in 1942, I can tell from the markings on the wrist. Very nice heirloom.

P.S. It's technically not an SMLE. The last SMLE was the SMLE No.6, which was the precursor to the Rifle No.4. The naming convention was changed in British service in 1926. The No.4 trials rifles didn't come about till the early 30's (1933 if I remember correctly). Sorry to be a dick but it's just a pet-peeve I have.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. McCroskey

Good info. What do you mean by trials rifles?

I make no claim to be an expert when it comes to this rifle's history so don't worry about hurting my feelings :mamoru:

8. Mystical Badger

Mystical Badger New Member

During the 1920's and 30's the Brits realized that the Lee Enfield needed a aperture sight with a longer sight radius than that of the SMLE Mk. III. So they made an SMLE with a ladder sight on the rear of the receiver (The Mk.V),
    [​IMG]
    then the Mk.VI
    [​IMG]
    Then they modified that into a rifle that was pretty much the No.4 and was made as a trials rifle to test the new layout. The No.4 pattern was then accepted for service in late 1940.

Basically a trials rifle was a new pattern that was made in very limited numbers to test the strengths and weaknesses of the rifle.