GUN Brothers who disarmed gunman felt it was their duty

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 8, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Brothers who disarmed gunman felt it was their duty
    Photo Dave Darnell/The Commercial Appeal
    [​IMG] :coolugh:
    Brothers William Webber (left), 23, and Paul Webber, 29, display the handguns they used to stop a shooting at Perkins and Park.

Buy this Photo
    Story Tools
    E-mail this story | Print
    By Alex Doniach and Jody Callahan
    Contact
    March 8, 2007
    It played out like a scene in an action movie.

Two brothers from East Memphis were driving to Back Yard Burgers to pick up dinner Tuesday night when they noticed a red Mustang stalled at Perkins and Park. Thinking it was just car trouble, William Webber, and his older brother, Paul Webber, ignored the car and the man standing beside it.

Advertisement
    "And then I heard the pop, pop, pop of a gun," said Paul, 29.

Added William, 23: "I said 'Dude, you got to turn this car around, that dude is shooting at people!' "

They saw the man, identified later by police as Dementrius Roberson, fire three shots from his 9 mm gun.

"He was shooting right across traffic," Paul said. "Those bullets could have ricocheted off cars and hurt a lot of people."

No one was injured although one bullet hit a woman driver's car door.

Paul and William, both licensed to carry weapons, made a hasty U-turn, jumped out of the Jeep and held their guns high so Roberson could see them.

"Get on the ground!" yelled the Webbers.

"What are you going to do?" Roberson yelled back.

"Get down on the ground or I'll blow your head off!" screamed William. He feared for his life at that moment.

Roberson gave the brothers a "wild and deranged" look, William said, then dropped to the ground.

William inched toward Roberson and picked up the gun. The Webbers held him at gunpoint until police arrived five minutes later.

Roberson, 56, said Wednesday evening that he'd been rear-ended by a black car carrying six men. Roberson said he called police, then when the men got out of their car, he reached down, got his gun and tucked it into his back pocket.

At some point, Roberson said most of the men dispersed, leaving just the driver and a "heavyset" man. Roberson said the large man then pulled a gun.

"I didn't know what his intentions were, so I came out with mine. I started shooting," said Roberson, who is licensed to carry a gun.

Roberson, who was charged with reckless endangerment, admits to some regrets about the affair.

"I probably could've handled it a little better," added Roberson, who said he'd put his gun away before the brothers arrived. "Just leave it ... alone."

Memphis police spokesman Sgt. Vince Higgins praised the brothers for their actions.

"These men should be commended for stopping another man in the middle of a crime," he said.

The Webbers, who live with their mom in a quiet East Memphis neighborhood, said they felt obliged to act.

"There are not enough men and women out there willing to step up and say, 'Don't do that,' " Paul said. "I don't want to sound like some Neighborhood Watch salesman but it's important to look out for the good of mankind."

Both Webbers are 6 feet tall and share the thick build of former football players. Born and raised in Missouri, they moved to Memphis with their mom and three siblings after their dad passed away in 1998.

Paul played football at the University of Nebraska and at the University of Missouri. He is a substitute teacher and coach at Harding Academy. William graduated from Harding Academy in 2002 and works at Lenny's Sub Shop in Arlington.

Both men enjoy target practice. They sought "carry and conceal" permits because "it's a constitutional right," William said. Added Paul: "I'm a major advocate of citizens carrying guns as long as they are responsible."

The permits require eight hours of training and written and shooting tests. According to the Tennessee Department of Safety, about 25,000 Shelby County residents owned a handgun permit in 2004. This was the highest number of permit holders in the state, followed by Davidson County with about 11,600 permit holders.

Paul, who got his license a few years before his brother, said he's pulled his .380 caliber Kel-Tec three times, once in the drive-through of a Krystal restaurant when a panhandler grabbed his arm. He did not fire his weapon any of those times.

Tuesday night was Willliam's first opportunity to pull his .40 caliber Kahr, which he generally keeps slung on his hip.

The Webbers said citizens need to take security into their own hands.

"Our dad always told us not to put ourselves in a situation where we can't protect ourselves," William said.

Added Paul: "He said always be prepared."

-- Alex Doniach: 529-5867

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

my god where do these people learn to write? I can barely figure out what's going on in here.

3. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

:werd:

good for the brothers tho...

but they need a few more pointers on gun safety by the looks of that picture.

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Backyard Burger>*

5. reznor

reznor New Member

:confused: so what happened to the first guy who pulled his gun? sounds like the roberson guy they disarmed was defending himself, unless he made that story up :dunno:.

they really need to concentrate on the actual story rather than everyone's life story

6. Werm

Werm Guest

I agree... this is one horribly written story.

Good for the brothers though.

7. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

did anyone else see that they live with their MOMMY?

8. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:coolugh:

9. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Yeah, it said they moved back home after their dad died. I don't see anything wrong with that.

10. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

oh... i stopped reading after i read lives with their mom. oh well, i can understand then.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This is somewhat troubling.

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Talented writer!

13. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i did that too, after my father died... then mom remarried, and i moved back out.

14. t1h

t1h Guest

it took 5 minutes for the police to show up? :ugh:

15. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Werd, that doesn't help the image of gun owners at all.

16. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Thats cool. I woulda squeezed off some rounds. :big grin: