GUN Brother tried to buy a 10/22 and was rejected...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Jun 18, 2008.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

He just moved from NYC back to Texas. He went into Academy (local sporting goods store) and they turned him down because he still had his NY driver's license.

I told him that he shouldn't have a problem because it's a long gun and those purchases do not require residency... as I got my 10/22 in South Carolina with my Texas driver's license.

I checked the ATF's Firearms FAQ and sure enough, he should be fine (from how I interpreted it... I have had a few beers :dunno:)

I thought it might have been an ignorant salesman who didn't want to fuck it up but the manager was called over and he confirmed the no-sale. :dunno:

You guys tell me... :confused: :o

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Can you blame them though? Bloomberg might sue Texas and Academy if they sold your bro a 10/22. :mamoru::mamoru:

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Texas law may prohibit the sale of guns to non-residents.

or

Store policy may prohibit them from selling to any non-residents on the basis that they can't/won't maintain knowledge of other state's laws. (Fed you quoted allows for the sale if it is legal in both the state of the sale and the state the purchaser resides in.)

4. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I went to cheaperthandirt when I moved to TX. They require a TX drivers license to purchase firearms. I wanted to buy an AR.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

We both came up with those assumptions, but I doubt the former would be the case... Texas has pretty good gun laws.

:dunno:

6. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

You'd be surprised, although Texas is viewed as having some of the most liberal gun-related laws, they have a couple of goofy ones written in.

7. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

the first 15 words of that are your answer. May NOT be lawfully sold to a nonresident. and by generally, they mean most cases. so no, they dont have to sell your brother a gun.

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Goto any Walmart and they will have a sticker of which state's residents can buy guns there. I am not sure how they come up with it. As a Florida resident I have always been told for the most parts its just states that share a border with florida.

9. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Let me guess, Mini 14 is ok.

10. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

:dunno: My little sister is in PA for a couple of years, but still has her permanent address (on her DL, etc) as Michigan. She tried to buy a pistol in Pennsylvania last year and they denied her, but she bought at shotgun with no problems.

11. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I was starting to think I had reading comprehension problems until some of the latter posts... good to know I don't. :mamoru:

12. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The address on your license has to match your current address. It shouldn't matter that he had an out of state address, but it does matter that his ID was no longer valid.

13. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Scrotum: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Did you read the whole thing?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence. In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

Also, I bought a 10/22 in South Carolina with my Texas DL and Texas residency.

14. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Scrotum: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

That's a possibility but I don't know for sure if his NY DL is invalid now. :dunno:

I think I'm going to tell him to try WalMart as it worked just fine for me. They might have the map there to see if there is a TX/NY law disallowing out of state purchases (would be surprised if it was TX though).

15. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Just making sure because of the part you bolded...

Can Squid clarify on NY law a little bit?

16. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

It doesn't matter unless your question is purely academic.

He does not have an ID that has his current address on it so he will not be able to buy a gun no matter what state he lives in.

17. RRTX

RRTX New Member

+1 to what Shay said, if the address on his license is not his address any longer he can't make a purchase until it is changed.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Oregon gives you 30 days since you "move" but of course that date is purely subjective, anyway... But once you actually go to the DMV they give you a license on-the-spot. So it's very easy to do.

19. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

same with ohio, virginia

20. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Because of Mayor Bloomberg, I wouldn't sell to a NY resident either.