Bronco Question:

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by KeeperOfAcheron, Mar 11, 2005.

1. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Hey everyone. I am looking to pick up a Bronco here in a few weeks. I know pretty much nothing about them. Can someone lend me a hand at some questions?

What years came with the removable back hardtop thing?
    What are years I should avoid?
    Any common problem I should look out for while shopping?

Any advice would be awsome.

2. KeeperOfAcheron

Thanks for the help! Anyone else have any advice/experience with these?

3. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I've got a '95, the motor lasted for 200 grand.
    I know the top comes off, just haven't done it, its supposed to be pia.
    I've replaced the common stuff, including ball joints & other components which seem to go out frequently, it was pretty spendy in labor.

4. KeeperOfAcheron

I can do almost everything myself (minus tranny stuff) so I am not to worried about the labor cost.

Howa bout gas milage? I wanna be able to tow jetski's up to the lake and stuff.

5. kl

kl New Member

I had a '93, I really liked it, but the body started to rust (salt belt, go figure). If you buy one in the Nevada area, I can't imagine you'd have rust problems (desert). If you look at dealerships, they can come from all around the country, so check the wheel wells, fenders, rockers, and tailgate for signs of rust.

Jet ski's would be no problem. I didn't have to tow with mine, but I would imagine they'd tow up to 5k without any problems at all, not sure what the actual ratings are.

The 5.0 and 5.8 engines are pretty strong. The 5.8 has more torque, but the 5.0 isn't bad and will last forever (that's what I had). Get one with the E4OD (or C6) transmission, those will last for ever, the AOD (C4) will give out after a while. Also, look for one with the quad shock option up front, stronger front-end pieces. Also, get one with the manual 4x4 shift lever, not the push-button. The electric shift motors tend to give out after 150k, but cost $500 to just buy the part.

Mine was bad for vibrations at 75mph, so make sure you test drive it at those speeds first.

I never took the top off of mine, didn't really feel the need to. If you're going to drive it a lot without it, I'd recommend a roll cage, and never ever tow anything without the hardtop on, you don't want that jet ski hitting you in the back of the head :) To get the top off, you'll need tamper-proof torx sockets. You'll see what I mean when you get the trim off.

As for other mech issues, the front axle u-joints tend to wear, but that's any 4x4. Also, the automatic hubs kind of suck, so if you start having problem with them, it's really easy to put in a set of manual locking hubs for about $80.

That's all I can think of. FWIW I traded mine in for a '98 Ram because of the body issues, I would have kept it otherwise.

6. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

short wheel base makes it fun for towing, but a jetski or small boat will be ok.

7. TurboV6

TurboV6 New Member

How have you guys not taken the top off your broncos?! I've got an 89 with a 351 windsor, c6, manual t case. It has 94k miles on it, and other than the heat not working very well :hs: it's been trouble free and a lot of fun. The top comes off with something like 12 or so 8 mm bolts. I only have 4 holding it on right now and it's still solid as a rock. It's not terribly heavy, two people can do it without trouble, it's possible to do by yourself, but you better be pretty strong and have good balance. The top itself is fiberglass but quite strong, if you drop it it won't just shatter to pieces. Driving around with the top off > top on as well.

8. KeeperOfAcheron

thanks everyone for all the help! I am going down tomorrow around town to check out a few.