Brolys: Come pick apart Kendall Gill's bulking diet/routine

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Chip Chipperson, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip Chipperson

Chip Chipperson New Member

So I have done a great deal of research over the last week (both F&N and the internets at large) learning about how to change my diet and what kind of workout routine I should use.

The real thomas was a major help and set me straight on what I should be doing so I'm just looking for any tips/tweaks y'all got for me.

- Background info: I'm 21 years old, 5'11 and 150 lbs. Total weakling, never lifted before. I have a big fat gut and hardly any muscle on me. I was ~190 in high school and I have a good amount of loose skin as a result. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

- Diet: After reading the noob guides, I decided that I need to bulk up. (Even though I want to lose the fat too..I suppose you can't have it both ways - at least not simultaneously.) I've been trying to go 50% protein/30% carbs/20% fat, like so:

[​IMG]

Apparently I need to up the calories to about 2,800 and shoot for 50% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. I'm also going to invest in some protein and some kind of powder for carbs (help picking this out would be much appreciated).

Routine:
    I've been mixing and matching but I've been advised to go with this, but because I am a beginner, picking two bis and two tris to do:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2920566

To give you an idea of how weak I am, I've been doing 15 lb bicep curls/hammer curls (7.5 in each hand) and I can't do a preacher curl for the life of me.

So my big questions are:
    - What protein powder should I get? (I'll pay a little extra if it makes a big difference in flavor)
    - What powder should I get for carbs? (Gatorade? Dextrose/Maltodextrin mix?)
    - Is 2,800 a good calorie number for me? Does anyone think I should consume less? Moar?
    - Any other tweaks to the routine to suggest?

Thanks bros :bowdown:

2. Anabolic Pop-Tarts

Anabolic Pop-Tarts New Member

Mix in some chicken and sweet potatoes. Less powders, more real food. You're already getting 211g protein on your current diet.

Total number of calories will be hit or miss.

3. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

2,800 is a good start - but you might have to go a little higher. I'm ~145 and 5'8, and wont even put on weight until i'm eating 2,800 a day.

if you're not putting on weight still, add 300cals until ya do.

macros look fine, imo

if you're looking for powders to add to your shake, dextrose is probably the easiest available. Maltodextrin can be found but is more $$$. You can get dextrose at any bulk store.

4. jtrem

jtrem Active Member

I think it is definitely possible to put on bulk and lose fat. I actually feel that this is natural, I did it this summer, lost a lot of my gut and put it in my chest from doing incline's a lot. Work your ass off and rest a lot, and if you really care stop drinking.

5. smb is me

smb is me New Member

looks like a good start bro. Way to do your homework and come prepared and not post "hey bros, without knowing anything about me, what should me diet be?"

now all you need is DEDICATION DEDICATION DEDICATION.
    also DISCIPLINE
    and lastly PATIENCE.

You've got the plan right there, time to work that motherfucker every day. Don't get sloppy.

gl

6. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

:werd: FINALLY my arms are growing and it feels AWESOME to get that happening

7. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

ive been anywhere between 2,800-3,200 for about 3 months and ive stayed about the same weight, dropped bodyfat and exchanged it for lean muscle. if your not sitting on your ass youll loose some %.

8. Chip Chipperson

Mmmm sweet potatoes - will do.

So I don't need powders if I can hit 1.5g/bodyweight with just food?

I'll see how the weight gaining goes, but I'm very afraid of putting on fat.

Thanks dude.

I'm very glad to hear this. What can I do to my diet to encourage similar results (Closer to 50% protein instead of 50% carbs? Less Fat? Less Cals?)? Would cardio on off days help this without hurting my gains? To borrow a great OT catchphrase, PLEASE RESPOND.

I'm only drinking a few times a month now and I'll probably keep it there. I also cut out the beer in favor of vodka.

9. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Carb cycling will be your best friend if you want to do a recomp. Look on ironaddicts.com or do a search.

10. Chip Chipperson

11. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

as horsedick said, that's where carb cycling comes in.

here's what i've been following.... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

don't expect instant gratification. If you're looking at the scale everyday - you're not going to see results. this is fully long-term.

12. Chip Chipperson

I might just do this. I'd love to get rid of this gut.

Here's my skinnyfat ass:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.