Brolly Bros, wtf do you do when you got a bad back?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ssabripo, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

been battling this severe lower back pain (pinched nerve or twisted disk or something) for over a week now, can't do shit! Even doing biceps work is fucking killer on it.

I can barely bend over to put my goddam shoes on! :rant2:

I went to the Doctor and got some muscle relaxers and pain killers n shit, but he told me to lay off the weights for a good while.

what do you nigglets do when this shit happens? :dunno:

already lost lots of weight /strength in the past 10 days of not doing shit :wtc:

:sadwavey:

2. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Chiro

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I royally fucked my back deadlifting last spring. I had poor form on a weak-ass 315 pull and hurt myself and pulled it again with the adrenaline :uh: Neurosurgeon was 95% certain I would need surgery again once he saw me. I said no fucking way.

Since I have had two prior back surgeries I treaded very lightly on rehab. No PT, nothing but what I did on my own.

You can look in my log to see what I did, but it was basically:

- cut/drop weight on out any movement that pressures the spine, e.g. chest supported rows on some days; no squats, no deads, legs were mostly accesory movements
    - triple the ab work: lots of planks, weighted crunches, and BW hanging leg raises. There is no better back support than your own muscle.
    - walk. A LOT.
    - stretch

Doing this, I went from no deadlifting from around June to September of 2008, to pulling 405 a few days ago.

4. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

chiro/yoga/stretching and what buzz said.

lay off any exercise that aggravates lower back

5. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

:cool:

been walking, but I feel like shit is doing nothing! did a 3 mile run a couple of days ago and royally fucked me up! :wtc:

6. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Depending on the back issues... yoga can make it worse.

7. Buzz Killington

Don't run. All you're doing is giving your back thousands of small jarring movements.

8. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

go to a chiropractor, get xrayz, do 6 months of balance work and rehab, start all over again with better form and lighter weight

9. Buzz Killington

I was sent to a therapist before my second back surgery. They did some electro stim therapy and then the broad pushed my legs around to stretch me out.

That night I ended up in the ER screaming for God's sakes for some Demerol and was operated on a couple days later :o

10. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

I do nothing and wait til it gets better. :hs:

11. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

electric stimulation on the lumbo-sacral spine while on a massage table is the best shits in the world

12. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

My 2 cents: Rest. Wait until it doesn't hurt anymore, and then wait another week or two. I jumped back in too early and wound up putting myself out for another month.

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I just worked around it. A couple days off..maybe 2 or 3 was all I took off.
    Stretching does help just be careful.

14. giz

giz Active Member

I was going to say... I have two bulged discs and suffer from sporadic sciatica. all three of those listed actually worsen my condition.

in fact, stretching is what sparked my first battle with sciatica (something that left me in extreme back pain for ~6 weeks). be very careful with your movements.

15. giz

giz Active Member

I did this and it did absolutely nothing for me. If anything, I ended up worse off. I'd say give a chiro a chance, but if you aren't seeing results within a few weeks, get an MRI done and see a surgeon.

16. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

only do stuff that has 0 impact on your back. You need to rest it and let it heal... if you don't this problem will nag you for a long long time

17. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Wear a good quality belt and stick to an easy workout. Doing machines is better than doing nothing

18. Spidey

Spidey Member

I pinched a nerve in my lower back and had a hard time just standing sometimes. I stuck to machines until the pain went away.

19. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I strained by lower back really bad last fall and I just dropped deads/squats/non-supported rows for a few months. Came back light, work on form, posture, and flexibility. Now my back is stronger than ever but I'm still cautious. Most of the time the doctor and chiro are worthless unless you have some kind of spinal injury where you need correction or surgery.

20. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

i've had shit like this happen from a drunken go cart accident and couldn't hardley walk for days went to the chiropracor and withing a week was able to go back to work they did the normal adjustments and the electro stim and after i had my hernia surgury i had the same pain went back a few times a week for a few months and was back to normal kinda want to go back to the chiro just for shits n giggles once every few weeks cause i always felt awsome when i left

21. smb is me

smb is me New Member

My lower back makes a clicking noise/feeling when i do sit ups, or any twisting ab exercises?
    Am i the only one? Should i be concerned?

Note: if i'm not real careful and keep it light on deads my lower back hurts the next day, and back when i used to play bball all the time my lower back was constantly bothering me.

And this isn't a troll post, i'm in for a serious answer, just didn't want to start a new thread for it.
    thanks

22. ralyks

ralyks New Member

In on this crew, pulled something a few weeks ago when I tried "fixing" my form and then going for a PR. Been foam rolling and that has been helping, as well as going light on deads. I think I'll take a few weeks off completely and just change to something that doesn't hurt -- like lunges/leg extensions.

I get it too, but I can actually feel mine cracking when I do situps.

23. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

this, worked wonders for me

24. liquidPoop

liquidPoop .........................

if it hurts that bad then take a few weeks off till it doesnt hurt on daily activities and slowly work back into it. believe me a few weeks setback is alot better than a few months or years. I learned that the hard way

25. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

gaddamit, every day I feel weaker and look skinnier and out of tone! :madfawk:

yesterday I went for a light walk, stretched, and then did just a quick bicep work, and today I can barely fucking move!!! :wtc:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.