SRS Broken pinky and watching a blind man play piano

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kev07, May 12, 2009.

1. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

I've been a piano player most of my life, started when I was 6 or 7 and I'm 19 now.

I usually use piano as an emotional escape, or just a when im bored and theres no internet type of thing, or when I hear an amazing song and I want to play it.

9 weeks ago, I broke my pinky while playing basketball, broke it really close to the joint too.

a month ago I took off the splint and couldnt move my pinky at all, i was told it was a normal thing and although i will never have full motion of my pinky, with some physical therapy, i should be able to move it enough that i wont have to make any major lifestyle changes.

about 2 weeks ago when the pain of putting pressure on my pinky was gone, i started trying to play piano again, and even though i couldnt bend my pinky, i was surprised that i could still play, limited of course, but i could still play. I've never considered myself a life-passionate piano player, but i definetely do love it.

Jump around to another topic real quick. I go to college and this year, I notice theres a blind freshman guy on campus. Didn't think much of it, if I saw him around and he needed help I'd try to lend a hand or what not, but I never really thought too much about it

Today however, I was eating in the dining halls and theres a piano in there. Usually the piano just sits there and collects dust, or random people would go to it and blast out little tunes. But today was different. I was eating and I hear a Mozart song, I turn around, and oh my god, it is the blind guy, blasting away at the piano. After the mozart, he went on to play some other complicated pieces and I just listened and watched in awe.

At the moment, I am really inspired and a little emo about my broken pinky. it limits the wingspan of my hands and of course the mobility :sad:
    My 1 month check up with my orthopedic surgeon is tomorrow, but I don't know how hopeful to be about my pinky being able to move again, it only moves if I move it with my other hand, and is very limited :hsd:

/endblog

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My mother had polio as a child, paralyzing and atrophying her left arm to the point that it is useless for anything more complicated than what an infant can do with their hand, and now she is an accomplished portrait artist with a knack for capturing facial expressions -- and, interestingly enough, for painting realistic hands and fingers, something even the Great Masters struggled with at times.

You will learn to play well with a stiff pinky if you want to.

[​IMG]

3. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Piano crew holla! I started playing when I was three and I've been playing ever since. I'm 20 and it has also been a good emotional outlet although, unfortunately, I do not currently have a piano.

4. amac88

amac88 New Member

I started playing when I was 4, but quit when I was 12. Im now 21 and wish I never had quit, I really wanna get back into it but I cant afford a $1000 piano...

5. ahtnamas

ahtnamas OT Supporter

Ever since my ex broke my hand I haven't been able to play the guitar. I don't know how to deal with it either. :hs:

6. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I know the feelings you're dealing with. Because of my health problems my dexterity and speed are significantly hindered. I perform as though I were a beginner, though I've been playing for at least 15 years.

Hang in there, with practice and ongoing use you'll find it'll start working again.