Broken leg advice

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by apman0000, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

I have about 4 weeks to go before i get out of my walking boot, i know my leg will be rubber and have no muscle left.

Spiral fracture of the fibula couple inches above the ankle.

I've worked out steadily for a couple years until this since i can't bear weight on it yet.

any one here that can give advice for rehab after i get the green light in a couple weeks, obviously i can't lift heavy but i eventually want to be able to get back to squats and d/l's

doctor says about 3 months before i can start jogging again.

i'll go for therapy but i only 1/2 way trust those folks lol, so any advice for when i get rid of this thing and have a dead useless muscle-less leg?

2. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

3. xela

xela So say we all!

That's a bad break...I've had that before.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

ohh the rubber band thing sounds like a great idea

5. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

You might be able to do some swimming as well as long as you're careful about getting in and out.

6. Abomb

Abomb New Member

try to get some growth hormone that'll speed up the recovery process

7. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yeah that would be pretty nice, i don't think my wallet can support that though lol

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

you should still be training your good leg

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

ibgogzilla

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i've been trying to do as much as i can, but the first 4 weeks doc said Zero stress on the bad wheel, the spiral fracture hadn't displaced the bone so it could heal well but some stress could finish it off and require surgury so i've been ultra conservative to make sure.
    i've lost muscle mass everywhere for sure, i've kept up with upper body pretty decent (considering i can't stand) but my good leg has lost muscle, i've been paranoid about risking my bad leg. now i can start doing simple things with the other leg, gonna start doing leg extentions etc with it.

my main concern is that i know when this boot comes off my ankle will have 0 muscle and will be completely limp noodle, 4+ weeks in cast now 4 weeks ahead of me in a boot.

physical therapy will start when doc gives the green light but i can't afford to go more than once a week or so and that just won't be enough.

the rubber band thing above is great, i think i'm gonna start doing some hip workouts with my bad leg using them now since that entire leg is just turning to jelly. the ankle scares me though, when that cast came off the thing is just completely without muscle and i can't move the thing more than a little bit here or there, it's nearly useless from muscle loss.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'm an awful swimmer but i guess that would be the best cardio i can do when i get this thing off.

i must be 1/2 retarded cause i never swim (swim awful, lucky not to drown in a bathtub lol) and i probably wouldn't have thought to swim, uhg my cardio is so bad it's scary now

12. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Do all your PT. If you are worried about the quality you could always go to a sports doctor they probably would be more accommodating to your goals of training again ASAP

13. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

true, i'm just freaking out about everything now that it's getting closer to being over, i'm just scared i won't ever get the leg back to normal and i'm getting paranoid, when that cast came off it was depressing as can be how bad that leg is, now with the boot on i still can't move the foot, i was just less worried before i saw how useless this foot is when the cast came off, i mean it's just useless as can be, this is my 1st broken leg so even though the doctor told me it was normal i'm still freaking out

i'm gonna be a pain in the ass at physical training cause i want to get this thing back to normal asap

14. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Look at evolude's pictures after his knee surgery and now. In like 8 months he had massive quads again... you'll get back into it faster than you think.

15. Toda Party

Toda Party .....

I broke a fibula. 2 weeks after being put into a cast it wasn't healing right, so I ended up getting a plate and screws put in, which of course started the healing time all over again. Anyway, being no stranger to broken bones I knew what to expect. Atrophy and loss of ROM. If I could go back in time I would work on ROM MUCH more than I did. Physical therapy will work on ROM, and I can't speak for every PT, but they seem to be more concerned with strength more than ROM. You have a window of opportunity to get most of your ROM back, so be sure to work on it, because it will be tougher to get back later on down the road. Starting to walk again will suck, it will hurt and be awkward, but you'l get there. Do lots of unilateral work once you get back in the gym.

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yeah i don't want to lose my range of motion, your break was probably worse than mine since you basically had to heal twice, that sucks.
    so make sure the therapist works on my rom and not just strength, gotcha, thanks

17. Toda Party

Toda Party .....

Yeah I had a lot of damage and it was 8 weeks before I was given the ok to begin weight bearing exercise. Your PT will work on ROM and give you exercises to do at home. Do them. Make sure you continue to work on your ankle even after youre done with PT and walking.

18. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.