Broken Computer.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ham Sammich, May 26, 2006.

1. Ham Sammich

Ham Sammich New Member

Something is wrong I came home yesterday after school and my computer had been restarted even tho no one was home and it was sitting on the log onto windows XP screen. So I log on and my account starts my wallpaper shows up and thats all the shows. I have no start menu, no icons nothing at all.

I opened windows task manager with control+alt+delete and tried to run start menu or control panel so I run a system restore to like a month ago. But I try to open start menu and it says it isn't even a file. I put my windows xp disk in but there is no choice to reformat and I have no clue what to do so if someone can help me thanks alot.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is no program "start menu" you need to endtask explorer.exe and then run "explorer.exe"

If that doesn't work, try safe mode (press f8 before windows boot to get menu)

If that doesn't work, try a repair.. boot to the windows cd.

If that doesn't work, re-format, which requires booting to the windows cd, as well.

If any of this is over your head, take it to a professional.

3. Ham Sammich

Ham Sammich New Member

Ok thanks, no none of this is over my head. I will try the safemode thing in the morning thanks alot.