broke my laptop again, the wireless connection wont work this time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Instantly, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Instantly

Instantly New Member

ok, So I formatted my hd, and reinstalled windows xp... it needed it. I even went to the trouble to install service pack 2 and whatnot.

Thing is. It worked fine before the reinstall :wtc: (its a dell inspiron 5150, with a dell router, truemobile 2300 or some shit) it will not recognize the wireless connection at all. Ive tried 129847198341274 different things, none of them will work. I tried running a diagnostic thingy, and it failed some sort of memory test. Does this mean my card is shot? I cant imagine that being the scenario... it worked fucking fine before I formatted :wtc:

Sorry if i'm being vague/idiotic... I know nothing about computers, and i'm half in the bag. :hsd:

Oh yeah and I reinstalled all my drivers. The one thing I havent installed is the router software, it was not installed on the computer before (back when the wireless connection fucking worked). when I first reformatted I installed it and it didnt seem to do jack shit, so I formatted again and left it off this time... either way I cannot get the computer to pick upt he wireless connection... it is driving me fucking crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you need more specifics I can give them to you sometime tomorrow. I think its bedtime now though :o

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

The router software shouldn't mean anything, unless Dell makes some off the wall router that needs to connect to the software on the computer. But that would be an ass-in-nine design, even for Dell.

Have another computer you can see if it connects to? Can you see the SSID? Is it broadcasting the SSID? Are there 2.4GHz cordless phones nearby that are in use?

Did you install SP1 and then upgrade to SP2? Upgrading to SP2 without doing a clean install can cause all sort of problems with hardware.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Are you sure you put installed the correct drivers?

Can you confirm in device manager that there are no conflicts with the wireless card?

4. Instantly

Instantly New Member

everything looks good in device manager.
    tried to disable/enable the card too.. I cant get anything to work. Handed the laptop over to my friend who actually knows what the fuck he is doing. haha.
    Thanks all for the replies, I'll let you know what he finds out. Hopefully nothing is broken besides some driver conflicts or something.