GUN Broadswords (or Sabers)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jsiu, Apr 6, 2004.

1. jsiu

jsiu New Member

My Kung-Fu instructor asked me and my peers to start looking for a broadsword (or also called a saber) in preparation for our next form. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions or tips on what to look for and what to avoid. For example, what types of blade metal should I look for (or avoid)? The blade needs to be firm, so that eliminates the flimsy Wu-Shu steel. One of the more advanced students recommended something like this:

http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/index.cfm?action=moreinfo&itemid=2480

What do you guys think? Also, cost is a big factor (preferrably in the $80 range max). Anything else you might think would be helpful would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

if that's all you can spend, you're really limiting the quality. steel costs money, and quality steel costs more money. in addition, putting the quality steel together in such a way where the handle and the blade aren't going to separate also costs money. keep that in mind. and if you want it to hold an edge, or actually cut something, you're going to want quality steel and construction.

my carry knife costs $80. a quality sword would cost in the several hundred dollar range.

3. jsiu

jsiu New Member

The sword would only be used to perform the necessary form(s). I won't be using it to cut anything. I don't need it to be of the highest quality, but more something along the lines of longeivity (with the proper care, of course). Thanks for the advice.

4. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i know they are not in your stated price range, but if you can manage to get the money together, check out one of the two in the link. and btw- they are functional

http://www.coldsteel.com/willeafsworb.html

5. jsiu

jsiu New Member

Wow! Those are nice!

I'm not too firm on the price. I can budge around a bit (maybe to about $100), but I can't spend THAT much, haha.

6. mrbill

mrbill New Member

i understand. just thought you might want to know that some quality/functional blades were available.

7. jsiu

jsiu New Member

I'm not very familiar with gun shows since I've never been to one. Would you know of a site that provides dates and locations of various gun shows in the Southern California area?

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I don't think his instructor would be too happy with him having a live blade either :mamoru:

9. Cool~Breeze

Cool~Breeze New Member

Flea market

10. jsiu

jsiu New Member

Yea, I definitely don't want a live blade in class. The room is small and there can be a lot of students in the class at a time.

By the way, what are some things to keep in mind for proper sword care? I hear waxing the blade is a good idea to prevent rust, but what kind of wax/oil do I use? Is paste or spray car wax ok to use? Or is there something more specific? What other maintenance issues should I know about?

11. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.