Broadening skillset / finding jobs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vizyn, Jun 17, 2009.

1. vizyn

vizyn New Member

So I'm currently working my first job out of school (B.S. in CS) as a software engineer for a financial services technology company. I'm a java mid-tier developer for one of our web-apps. We're currently re-writing the mid-tier with a service-oriented approach since all of the previously existing design patterns are basically non-existent anymore.

I'm a little concerned with my job security as our company is falling behind on revenue with no signs of it slowing this year. I honestly don't know whether it is a valid concern or not but being the super high-anxiety person I am I can't stop worrying about it. Anyways, I'm looking for input on what sort of things I could be looking into in my spare time to broaden my skillset and give myself the best opportunity to get another job should I need to look. Also - I got most of my job offers out of school via setting up interviews from postings on monster/careerbuilder - any other suggestions for good methods of finding jobs? I know CL has job postings also..

Current skillset:
    Java
    J2EE
    Spring framework
    Hibernate
    JDBC
    Tomcat 6
    Javascript/html/css/ajax
    Eclipse IDE
    Ant
    Maven
    Implementing MVC design pattern