Broadband Help-*Spyware?*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

My cable internet connection has not been running as fast lately, so i called up my isp and they had me test my speed in safe mode, and it is faster there, so they came to the conclusion that something is running when i start up my computer normally that is stealing my bandwidth. Ive tried running avg/avast virus to see if i had a virus, both came up empty. I then tried a myriad of spyware programs, that didnt catch anything either

so my question is, how can i tell what is taking away my bandwidth and causing my internetz to run slow? Thanks

2. kYd

kYd New Member

You could try using fport. It tells you what prorgrams and ports are being used.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

i read somewhere to go run-cmd-netstat -n

it shows quite a few established ips that i have no idea what they are, how do i go about un-establishing them?

4. Robb

Robb Guest

what is fport?

5. kYd

kYd New Member

http://www.foundstone.com/index.htm?subnav=resources/navigation.htm&subcontent=/resources/proddesc/fport.htm
    Basically shows you what programs are accessing the internet. When you run it google the names of some of the programs it shows you that look suspicious.

6. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Go to downoad.com and download Spybot - Search and Destroy and try that. Its a spyware detection tool. Also could try out hxxp://housecall.antivirus.com. They have an online scanner that scans for visus's and spyware at the same time. Another one, but you'll need to read on how to use it(if you dont know how), is Hijack this..i think you can get it at merjin.org? Search google for that one and the first one that comes up should be it.