broadband and wireless help please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by liberals=whiner, May 6, 2009.

1. Ok, here's my problem. I recently paid for broadband service and had them set it up on my computer.

here's the process that I need to do to connect
    I plug into the LAN cable in my dorm
    I wait until there is a connection, but with "limited or no connectivity"
    then I click on the icon displayed in my "network connection screen"
    it then logs me in with my user name and password
    and then connects to the internet

Now thats all fine and dandy for my room.

But there is also a wireless router at work that I can connect to, others use it with the same service I have to connect.

My problem is that after I connect to the wireless network, and then click the broadband icon it trys to connect using a "PPPoE"

how do I get it to use the wireless network too?

Im sorry if all this is comfusing or doesnt make sense. Its kinda hard to explain. But Ill try and answer and questions that will help me make this work. Im stuck at work for 12-15 hours a day and would like to surf the internet.

2. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Your connection needs to be placed into the wireless router for it to broadcast a signal. IE bridge mode

3. you mean the cable connection needs to? or the connection on my computer needs to?

I was looking and saw that I could create a network bridge with my wireless and LAN connection, but when I tried it didnt work. Perhaps Im not setting it up correctly?

Thanks for the help though :wavey:

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

...wat?

5. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

For wireless to work you need your internet connection plugged into the router/access point. Most wireless routers can do PPPoE Authentication for you unless you have something else like your connection is always on (cable) then you just have to bring one cable out of the modem, into the wireless unit to broadcast the signal.

What kind of modem do you have and wireless setup