GUN British offering knife amnesty - brit cops want guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 16, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4774059.stm

how can they be threatend with guns when all guns have been banned in england? Surely everyone turned over there weapons once they were banned :hsughno:

So now a knife is illegal in England? Remember coming soon to America if the liberals have there way.

Police facing major knife threat
    Knives
    Knives remain the biggest threat to police safety
    Thousands of police officers in England and Wales have been threatened with a knife or gun on duty, figures show.

The Police Federation research reveals 7,000 officers have been threatened with a gun and 40,000 a knife, in the last two years.

More than four out of five police officers on the beat wants to see greater numbers of firearms officers.

A higher proportion want to see stun guns used more widely but support for becoming armed themselves remains low.

The research was prompted by the murder of Pc Sharon Beshenivsky in Bradford last year and has been released at the start of the annual conference of the Police Federation, which represents officers from constables to chief inspectors.

More than 7,000 police officers are telling us that in the last two years they have been threatened with a gun
    Jan Berry
    Police Federation

More armed police?

Extrapolating from these statistics to police forces as a whole, the federation said around 7,000 police officers had been threatened with a gun in the last two years.

The figures also show 40,000 have faced a knife and 50,000 have contended with threats related to another type of weapon.

The federation, which represents frontline police officers, commissioned researchers to poll its 141,000 members, of whom 47,000 replied.

Despite these findings, only 23.4% said officers should carry guns, compared with 22% when the federation last sought its members opinions on the subject.

Federation chairman Jan Berry said: "Following the tragic murder of Pc Sharon Beshenivsky last year, a number of officers were critical that we hadn't asked their view.

"We decided that we would survey everyone."

Research found 89% wanted to see use of stun guns, or Tasers, extended while 45% wanted more officers trained to use the implement that temporarily disables using a high-voltage shock.

Knife amnesty

Currently only specially-trained firearms officers are allowed to carry Tasers.

Mrs Berry said police officers wanted more firearms officers to be available when needed.

The number of authorised firearms officers was under 5% but should be 5-8%, she said, and possibly higher in some urban areas.

A five-week national knife amnesty, which will allow people to hand in the weapons without fear of prosecution, will run from 24 May to 30 June.

Home Office Minister Liam Byrne said: "[It will] send out the strong message that carrying knives on our streets will not be tolerated and there are tough penalties in place for those that do."

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Eventually, sticks and stones will be banned and no one will be allowed to own a car, and there will be no high places or water. Entires buildings including all furniture will be built completely out of Nerf so that no one can fall and hurt themselves. Then all food will be blended at a govt. - controlled factory so that no one needs any forks or knives to eat. Then and ONLY then can we rest easy, living in our entirely safe world.

I can't wait.

3. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

lol. See, in america, if you threaten a cop with a gun, your ass is history.

As for the reason that they dont want guns, they know that they cant shoot for shit. A LEO friend of mine was telling me about a time he went to the range with a british sniper, and there were 17 yr olds at the range that were shooting better than the sniper.

Gun culture in the US ftmfw

4. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

:werd:

5. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

I'm gonna go but a shit ton of really cheap knives hoping for a knife buyback from somewhere.

6. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

If civilians can't have guns, then neither can the cops. Let them deal with the mess they created. That's my new law. If it's so dangerous for cops, then it's doubly dangerous for a typical civilian.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

It's because of crap like this that we had to bail them out in WWII.

8. ChrisOT

ChrisOT New Member

"1 Sniper = All" :ugh: :ugh:

Didn't we just finish off paying you back for that? :)

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

consider that this guy's job was to train other british snipers, yes.

10. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

:Ownedd:

11. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

survey says majority of cops dont want to carry guns...

but ask how many brit cops are out there wearing body armour, i think its actually std issue... figure that one out

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont understand british cops, who the hell would want to be a LEO but have to be unarmed? German cops got it right porsches and mp5's :coold:

13. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

Banning guns simply does not work.

AND HOW FUCKING Stupid is it that professional athletes who do shooting had to go to another country to practice as they were banned here :rofl:

Banning gun's only punishes those who use them respectivly, and use them in shooting ranges etc..

the people who use the guns (gangs etc..) will still have guns no matter what.

14. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

:werd: those italian cops have it nice too...

15. reman

reman New Member

lol I thought they said STEN.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:rofl: Sten's > stun guns

They better not start reissuing them I like paying only $5 a pop for surplus mags

17. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

Which british cops get the MP5's? Every time i'm in London, I only see the heavily armed officers.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Probably their emergency services unit, sometimes see the NYPD all decked out with there gear patrolling.

19. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Outside the US, a SMG is used the way our cops use shotguns. It's pretty well recognized outside of the US that using a rifle/SMG allows more control over where the bullets go, compared to shooting 6-12 bullets of buckshot in a cloud each time you pull the trigger. We're just starting to straighten our shit out again with the recent moves towards patrol rifles.