Bringing back some faded SS burgundy

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MerkurMan, Aug 17, 2008.

1. MerkurMan

MerkurMan Gimme Nuts, Bolts and 12 Volts

Hey all. Longtime lurker in this forum, gawking at everyone's work, and thought I'd post up one of my first details. Decided to give my old man's car a once over, as he never washes or waxes it at all, and it was starting to look a little derelict. Overall, it isn't a beauty queen, just a 400K km+ daily driver with dings, dents and scratches, but I wanted to do what I could to make it presentable.

The pass. front fender was repainted at some point, and doesn't match the rest of the car, and on top of that was starting to turn white. So out came the sandpaper and I gave it a hit of 3M 1500gr followed by 2000, which brought it up a little.

The rest of the car got M85 compound on a Meg's burgundy cutting pad using a cheap Simoniz rotary (which works fine for my weekend warrior self) followed up with M80 on a Mac Tools (anyone know who makes their pads?) grey finessing pad. I know that's a pretty big step going from compound to glaze, but I wasn't looking for a show-quality finish. To be honest, the M85 finished off beautifully once I worked it down enough. Topped that off with #26. Tires and mirrors got 303AP, and I didn't even bother with the bumpers or cladding, as the paint has completely faded away in most places, so I'm going to just re-paint/dye them.

Anyway, on to the pics.

Before:

[​IMG]

Bottom right corner had already been touched.

[​IMG]

You can see how bad the fender was in this pic:

[​IMG]

Pseudo-50/50 shot of the hood after one pass with M85. The swirls were excess compound I hadn't wiped off yet. :o

[​IMG]

Afters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't get any upclose after shots because I was pretty beat after all was said and done, but you get the idea. :o

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Wow, nice. Really huge difference. :)