SRS Breaking Up With GF Tomorrow - Need Advice

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by arseclown, Oct 20, 2007.

1. arseclown

arseclown Guest

She's a really sweet girl, but there are alot of personality traits about her that I just don't like and I've talked to her about. It doesn't look like herself or I can change her negativity and I'm just tired of it. So I'm going to break up with her when she comes back from home tomorrow night after work.

What's the gentlest way to break up without sounding too harsh about her personality and yet still give her enough info on why I'm breaking up with her? (my first ever break up). (College)

Original Thread for Reference: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3452222

2. Takitome

Takitome New Member

I don't think there's one good way to break up when one of you doesn't want to.

If your too nice about it she might try to get you back, if you are to harsh feelings get hurt.

I think the best is to be firm when you are saying it. But also like you said, discuss why so you dont leave things to be missunderstood.

3. johan

johan Active Member

I need space
    Let's take a break
    I don't feel like its working out
    etc

You don't need to mention her personality ..."flaws" (as you see them)

4. arseclown

arseclown Guest

while not mentioning reasons behind breaking up is fine, i still think that, being with the girl for just under a year, it would be best to give her definitive reasons why i'm breaking up with her. :\

5. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

Just tell her you're not happy anymore. That pretty much sums it all up.. If she asks why then just say "idk.. it's just not working. It's not that I don't like you, I'm just not happy."

Sometimes things are seriously just like that.. Some relationships fail for no reason (or the reasons aren't easy to see) and if you're not happy, then it's time to get out. It's only fair to both you and her.

6. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

you don't owe her specific reasons.

Not being happy in the relationship is enough.

Simply say "this isn't really working for me, it would be best for both of us to end this relationship".

Don't worry about her being hurt. Someone is always a little hurt after a relationship ends, but they eventually get over it. It's part of life.

7. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Don't use the first two, those are weak and lean towards giving her a chance at getting back with him soon. The third is a little better, but I think it's better to just straight up say you aren't happy and that it's over.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Those are like...the most bullshit ways ever. You dont have to tell her "it's all your fault, I just don't like who you are" but don't beat around the fucking bush and give her hope that you guys could get back together or say "it's just me." Be up front and say you just don't see the two of you working out as a couple.

9. arseclown

arseclown Guest

and i'm single...

feel guilty as fuck though...

10. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:h5: Good job man. It'll be ok. Just don't be a dick to her if you have to see or talk to her, and things will pass over.

11. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Why do you feel guilty?

12. Mangina

Mangina New Member

I'm going to guess she didn't take it very well.

13. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

Meh, emotions suck. She's be happy about it later on though. It's better to get out of a bad relationship as early as possible than to stay just because you're attached. There's no reason for him to feel guilty.