SRS Breaking the meth addiction - is it really psychological?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Juggernaut, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

A good friend of mine was telling me how she quit cold turkey after being a meth head for 2 years. She said she got the shakes , very bad headaches... woke up in cold sweats. Poor girl.

Then finally, after one month of making herself not do anymore, cutting her ties with her suppliers and the friends that did that stuff - the cravings stopped.

She then turned to excercising to help even further and she's been clean for 6 months now.

So my question is - is it really all in your head?

2. BaneBoi

BaneBoi ƒł٤şħ Ąđđίçŧ

IMO, most addictions are just as much mental (if not moreso) as they are physical. I wouldnt say "all in your head" tho. The shakes, headaches, cold sweats, etc. are physical responses from your bodies addiction (ie. not in your head). Once that shit stops... then its all in your head.

I hope she can keep it up. Meth is by far one of the hardest.

3. Suteki

Suteki Guest

Indeed meth addiction is definately not entiely psychological. Putting yourself in the position where its just not possible for you to get hold of anything will certainly help mentally as if it becomes a major hassle to get you think twice about it instead of going by impulse but the physical side effects are no joke and do play havor with your body.

Any substance you have had regularly your body will adjust to compensate for that, suddenly taking it all away and again your body has to make adjustments. Initially its just going to "want" more to level itself out, when it doesnt get it it has to re-adjust. For meth especially that means lethargy, anxiety, headaches...depending on your own physical makeup it can mean any number of things.

So like BaneBoi said, no i dont believe its all psychological, its a big part yes but its also very physical.

4. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Addiction to any mind or mood altering drug can cause physical, mental and emotional dependence on the substance. The reasons people take drugs and become addicts vary from person to person, but for the most part it is their inability to cope with living life on life's terms. Without spirituality, addicts will use drugs to mask painful feelings. They no longer want to feel, so they get high. They live life without feeling. Therefore quitting and beginning to feel again can sometimes be a painful experience. Thats good to hear your friend has been clean for 6 months, exercise is key, but the best treatment for addiction is spiritual in nature. Personally, if she has not already, I would advise her to hit up some NA meetings to get in touch with some recovering addicts, and work some steps to clear past wreckage of the last 2 years.

I have been clean for 6 months as well, but I have also found a new way to live and a Higher Power that loves and cares for me. I have found a Fellowship of other clean addicts that empowers me to stay clean one day at a time. So, to answer your question, no, it's not really "all in your head." Addiction is a disease, and I treat it by accepting my powerlessness, praying for another day clean, and staying in touch with other clean addicts on a daily basis. For this, I am rewarded by having the obsession to use lifted.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:werd: :bowdown: great 3rd post

6. gnat

gnat New Member

addictions to meth or more importanly ice can be very debilitating upon withdrawel. Resulting in depression, seroius drop in moral, and obsessive sleeping/eating. I've seen people sleep for a week+, - getting up for food and restroom, or maybe an hour or so a day.

7. Excellent Post. You've answered the question accurately. In-fact every single post in this thread gave a piece of the puzzle, and they're all very good. :)

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Methamphetamine elevates dopamine levels hugely. Cessation after chronic use will result in plummeting dopamine levels. Which will make you feel like total shit. Not to mention that you've got to recover from total exhaustion after a lack of sleep while on meth. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter associated with rewarding feelings. The good shit. Elevated dopamine is the mechanism of addiction behind cocaine, amphetamines, and nicotine.

So yes, there is certainly a physical aspect to methamphetamine addiction.