MIL Breaking News: Army opening criminal probe into Tillman's death

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DaRkPhAnToM, Mar 4, 2006.

1. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

I knew this was going to happen.

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I haven't paid attention to this story.

Can someone give me a brief summary of what happend?

3. DaRkPhAnToM

friendly fire. platoon was in 2 detachments. were in a canyon/ridge. they thought they were enemy. after throwing a smoke grenade and shooting subsided he stood up to yell ‘Cease fire, friendlies, I am Pat fucking Tillman, dammit.” guy on .50cal on HMMWV opened up and tillman was hit 3 times in head/upperbody. he died. everyone made a big deal. the guy was a jackass. thought he was better than everyone else.

4. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Um and that happened when?

5. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

it happened in like March or April of 04. I remember our first shirt called us all out in the hall in Tech School and I was like "so what if he died, there's been how many soldiers killed in Iraq? What makes him so special" I got my ass reamed for that

6. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Football player walks away from 3 million dollar contract after Sept. 11th 2001 to join the Rangers (with his brother or cousin) and was killed in a friendly fire incident.

*Edit* He was also awarded a Silver star

7. DaRkPhAnToM

hmm. he was in 2nd ranger bat. i was in 3rd bat. we (3rd bat) were in afghan when 2nd bat came to relieve us. i saw him over there quite a bit. never talked to the guy. everyone i talked to in 2nd bat or people that went to basic/airborne/RIP with him said the same thing about him. "cocky asshole that just wants attention" and other stuff like that. hmmm. if that many people say it, i wonder what that means. sometimes the truth hurts. and by my American rights i can post what i want on here. i think i earned those rights myself...

8. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

You may be right but he still gave up the money and the NFL to serve his country and that takes some character.

9. DaRkPhAnToM

i have a higher amount of money than his contract, and actually reenlisted when i could of got out and chilled for the rest of my life :dunno: i also gave up a full academic scholarship to UT. i act like i am equal to the guy next to me, like everyone should

10. willm1

willm1 They say, shark in it for the moneys.

You have 3 million or so just sitting around? That's a fuck ton of money.

11. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

From what I understand now. They're opening a criminal investigation because there seemed to be a cover up when this happened at first.

12. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

And people crucified me for saying I wasn't impressed by the purple heart.

13. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Have I been on a deployment were I was shot at? Yes. Have I had friends die on deployments? Yes. Do I have friends with the purple heart? Yes. Do I see a person with a purple heart and automatically have respect and admiration for them? No.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  14. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

judging by his answer, probably somewhere in the balkans
    had alot of friends end up there in the early days of that clusterfuck

I have alot of respect for Pat Tillman. Guy left alot on the table because he felt a need to serve his country in a time of war. The inquiry is going into the fact that there seems to have been a coverup. Im sure the Army knew right away that it was friendly fire, but didnt report it because of who it was. His body armor and uniform were apparently burned the day after he was shot :eek4:
    that seems like grounds for a criminal investigation in my book. The higher ups shouldnt have been embarrassed that he died of friendly fire. Its just one of those things that happened. Patton died in a car accident. Shit happens in bad areas. :dunno:
    I dont know what his fellow guys thought of him. I guess its all 2nd hand from what DarkPhantom tells us people told him. Im sure alot of people were jealous that he had so much more going for him than most of the people around him :dunno:

15. DaRkPhAnToM

yeah you got me man. i was soooo jealous of him :ugh:

16. MumblingJoe169

shit i dont mean you
    i mean some of his peers in his unit
    its just an observation
    one of my buddies when i was an enlisted puke was rich as fuck. I mean, his house was a city landmark, no shit. People used to give him a ton of shit about his money and why he was even in the army and crap :ugh: funny thing is that he was a better soldier than most of the ones telling him that shit
    He basically went into the SF because it sounded like fun, and he didnt need or want a real job :rofl:
    I know for you its kinda the same deal. Im just wondering if some of that hate he got was for the same reason my buddy would get hated on as well :dunno:
    anyways, lay off the booze brother, or im gonna go up to VA and shit on your chest

17. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

Well, ends come to ends, he is just another dumb jock who rode the 9/11 bandwagon of being an "American Hero"

He could have served his country better impressing me on the football field... what does one more Army Ranger do anyway?

No offense to anyone... I know this is going to be flamed to death...

Sorry ahead of time.

18. Socrates

Socrates New Member

You knew it was going to be flamed because the logic was so horribly flawed.

I don't think him giving up millions to join the Army is being on the "bandwagon".

I'm not even going to poke at this...

19. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

20. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

What a way to go.. :wtc:

21. MumblingJoe169

yea, it all goes back to the destruction of evidence and the army denying what happened for so long. My guess is that they did it because they didnt want to look bad for killing their media darling soldier. Its already a giant clusterfuck though. I have a feeling this coverup probably started at the company or battalion level or even lower, as I'd like to think the Army higher ups would know better by now than to try to cover up something so stupid

22. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

I talked to a buddy in my Korean class today. He was in 2nd Ranger Batt while Tilman was there. They were in the same company. He didn't not deploy with them because he was PCS'ing down here but he told me Tilman was a good guy. Said he didn't come across as an asshole or cocky.. Just another POV from someone that knew him.

23. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

I just think it was dumb to join the military when you're allready a professional FOOTBALL player... What's the point? I joined the Corps to get my life on track... not because it sounded trendy.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

Hundreds of professional baseball, football, basketball, and hockey players all joined the military during WW2 and Korea, most of which were very noteable players and many were even hall of famers.

25. emanuel

emanuel OT Supporter

ted williams ftw