Breaking in subwoofers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TwIzTiD BaLLeR 23, Mar 18, 2005.

1. TwIzTiD BaLLeR 23

TwIzTiD BaLLeR 23 I'm not great at farewells, so uh... that'll do, p

What do I do and for how long?

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

in theory a lot of subs nowadays dont need to be broken or 'burned' in. i would just go easy on them for the first couple days.

3. 04

04 Guest

Break-in is a myth in the sense that your speakers need to be "exercised" so they dont blow up. It's also a myth that they will sound better after breaking in.

You can play them full power right out of the box with no adverse effects.

Break-in DOES have a use in testing speakers to make sure they arent faulty by playing a high power, constant signal through them for extended periods of time. But that typically isnt necessary for the end user.

Here's a good article on burn-in thats a bit more technical by Tom Nousaine:

http://home.tulsaconnect.com/parkerttp/BurnInLegend.pdf

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i'm starting to get into head fi and a lot of users including myself noticed a big difference with headphone after they've been properly burned in. i currently had a pair of senn hd580s unamped but i'm looking to pick up a gilmore light amp and maybe some grados... its addicting

5. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

When I had my system put into my old car they said its best to go easy for the first week. Aslo they said I should beat some country music because the bass is soo deep and steady that is breaks the speakers is quick

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

country music hardly ever has good bass. its mostly fiddling and yodellation of drunken thoughts about dead dogs and ford trucks.

there is no such thing as break-in, there shouldnt be a difference between day 1 and 4.

7. denim

denim New Member

:rofl: :rofl: