Breaking - GM disbands high-performance vehicle operations.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by August Burns, Feb 19, 2009.

1. August Burns

August Burns New Member

General Motors, focusing on mainstream products in a battle to survive, has scrapped a unit that produced high-performance vehicles.
    GM on Wednesday disbanded High Performance Vehicle Operations, which is based at the company's suburban Detroit technical center, and redeployed its engineers, spokesman Vince Muniga said.
    "All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold," Muniga said. "The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs."
    The unit created low-volume vehicles for GM's divisions designed to appeal to enthusiasts and bolster the company's image. Products included V-series Cadillacs and the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, HHR SS and a V-8 version of the Colorado.
    Muniga said there are no plans for high-performance versions of upcoming cars.
    The move is in the spirit of GM's viability plan delivered to the U.S. Treasury Department on Tuesday. In the plan, GM said its future-product focus is on fuel- efficient cars and crossovers. It also pledged to increase its current offering of six hybrids to 14 by 2012 and to 26 by 2014. GM also boosted its request for federal aid by as much as $16.6 billion.
    The High Performance Vehicle Operations unit could be reinstated once GM regains its financial health, GM's Muniga said.
    "These guys are pretty good at what they do," Muniga said, "They are moving into different areas to work on core products."

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090218/CARNEWS/902189973

2. bradj

bradj give him the stick...DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!!

Good idea, scrap production of the cars people actually want to buy. :ugh:

3. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

:rofl: enthusiasts are the minority.....your average joe doesnt need a 500hp CTS

edit: they need to scrap pontiac and buick. and keep saturn

4. Will69camaro

Will69camaro OT Supporter

How about ditching pontiac, buick AND saturn. There is no reason to make a diff brand car when you can just badge it as a Chevy/GM. GMC for trucks, Chevy for cars/etc.

Just my thoughts.

5. PcH

PcH Guest

:werd:

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

It's one of the only things they did right and they did it to vehicles that were already designed, engineered and paid for. What GM loses in product desirability far outweighs any money it would have saved and believe me it isn't much. GM is so thoroughly fucked that it doesn't matter.

This move is more political to appease Democrats in Congress and the White House than anything else.

7. TriShield

Exactly. Companies make money by selling vehicles people actually want to buy from them. GM (and the other American automakers) can't do bread and butter better than the Asians. Affordable, fun, performance is one of the few things they are unbeatable at besides trucks.

8. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

in for GM's most powerful vehicles under 70k being their SUVs/pickups :bowrofl:

9. Havsie

Havsie When I die, bury me inside the Pepsi 1893 store OT Supporter

Aren't Toyota/Nissan trucks comparable to GM's as well? I've seen them do a pretty good job and are becoming more popular than the GM alternatives here.

10. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Detuned and Torque Managed FTL :wtc:

11. TriShield

Nissan is exiting the fullsize truck game. They weren't even a blip on the radar in sales.

12. TriShield

GM clarified today that all the vehicles PVO worked will still be produced through their planned lifecycles and that the group is on hold similar to Ford's SVT, who just released the F150 Raptor.

Still, not good news but not mass cancellation of performance vehicles as implied in the media yesterday.

13. art_VW_shark

:o i saw a few titans here and there.

14. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

a smart step.

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

around here in the middle of truck country... the only people with fullsize toyotas, are people who are all show no go... you never see them working.

nissan fullsizers don't stand out, if people have them around here.

16. art_VW_shark

:ugh: even if these vehicles didn't move well, and i can guaran-damn-tee the ones that didn't get cut will sell OK (CTS-V is a great value. yeah, a small volume car, but still, and teh Camaro SS has a lot of momentum behind it), you have to realize what having vehicles like the ZR1, Camaro SS, etc do for GM as a brand. they showcase it's prowess, technology, etc. they are ambassadors for teh brand; there's no denying someone may buy a base c6, v6 Camaro, etc saying,"Well if it fell off teh same tree as the high performance version..."

17. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

fucking retarded idea just like dumping pontiac and saturn

18. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Toyota's Mini and Midsize trucks are great. They dont compare in the fullsize game.

Asia isn't magic. They make more power but it's all above 3,000 RPM. It's power and torque down low (idle-3,000) that matters in trucks. Detroit could do the same thing but they actually know that it does nothing but make towing and hauling with the truck seem difficult unless you run the RPMS's up.

19. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I look at GM's Performance Division as creating brand flagships -- kind of like how the Mercedes S-class gets all of the very best well before any of the rest of their lineup as a preview of "what is to come" on future base models. GM has at least in the past put its newest premium equipment on the high-po and other high-end vehicles first, and then those features slowly trickle down to the more basic cars.

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It doesn't matter if they did it right. It wasn't paying the bills. They need how to build boring point-to-point cars that people like the look and feel of. Then they can start building dickmobiles again. It's not about whether they were good cars, it's about whether they could sell them.

Is the Corvette safe?

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

But it's the kind of prowess most people don't care about anymore. Having halo cars does you no good if the other cars in the showroom that people will actually buy all suck. (or are percieved to suck.)

V6 "performance econoboxes" don't sell. I can get a V6 Camry or Altima or Accord that rolls-out just as well, and can push my limits as a driver just as well, and be more comfortable than a "performance econobox".