MMA Breaking Closed Guard?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by yesitisyellow, Oct 25, 2007.

1. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

The other day i was sparring with a guy bigger than me and a guy the same as me. Both times I soon ended up in closed guard where I begin struggling to find something to do. If I try to stand up, they automatically reach for my legs to try for the sweep. It seems I don't have the leverage to try to trap an arm and attempt an americana. I'm pretty much stuck. My arms seem to be not strong enough to push their legs open to break the closed guard. It's as if the person can just wait the whole time. Any ideas/tips?

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Put your knee in his butt crack.

Put the other knee 90 degrees from it. use your elbow to put a lot of pressure on the knee that is clostest to "going down the hill". There is a nerve bundle that is under the knee you need to keep working. It will eventually break.

3. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

okay, rub my elbow against his knee. so the side you rub on is "going down the hill", the same side as the other knee that's not pushed up against his butt?

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

ask your instructor. hard to explain this crap over the internet. i wouldnt recommend the kind of guard breaks were you push on a nerve with your elbow.

5. chechen

actually look on the bj penn sticky. and look for bjj gi fundamentals 101

6. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Good posture makes a world of difference. If you're posturing well, and you have your knee against the guy's ass, and you hold his hips down, it doesn't take too much to pop the guard open.

7. jeffswain

jeffswain OT Supporter

let's go the other way: any tips on keeping your guard closed? much appreciated

8. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Closed guard sucks, in my opinion. I'm sure there are better wrestlers than me who disagree, but I think that it is too defensive. The best thing I can do with a closed guard is not get passed. With an open guard, I can try for sweeps and submissions.

If you want to stall the piss out of the guy when he's in your guard, get underhooks and hold on tight. And keep yourself from getting extended.

9. chechen

dont let the guy stand up. and make sure his posture is always broken. having a tight overhook is good too.

10. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

that always gets me, but it doesn't hurt me, it makes me giggle like a school girl for some reason. :hs:

11. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I stick my weiner in his butt

[​IMG]

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

grab her boobs

13. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

My favorite guard pass is the one where you control the biceps, slide back so his guard works up a little, pop up to your feet, slip the knee between their legs, sit back over your heels, and control the hips.

14. reddragonmd

reddragonmd Fudo Shin

There are a ton of guard passes. The most basic you learn first posture up, put one hand on either his center stomach, or belt knot, depending on gi/no gi, and use your elbow on their inner thigh to break open their legs. Once that is done you pass your knee over his leg and get to side control.

* You keep your hand in the center of his body when you remove one hand to break his leg open to avoid arm bar attempts. Alot of people leave that one lonely arm to the side of his belly, which can easily be pushed into a sub.

Or 2. Use both hands on stomach or belt, pushing up a bit, as you put one knee in his butt, and slide your other knee in an "L" shape back and out, to break the legs open.

Just feel your opponent out. If they are long and lanky, its tricky to break it open.

Its good to be back to OT :)

15. reddragonmd

reddragonmd Fudo Shin

Are we talking MMA or just JJ? Closed guard in JJ or submission wrestling is awesome. You tons of sweeps, sub attempts to go for and its fun to keep switching off to throw them off balance until something works. Although I agree with you, if your doing no gi, you need to sit up from the bottom and control the persons body and arms. Your all slippery, and letting someone posture up from closed gaurd in no-gi is like letting them escape.

16. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I was talking about no-gi, but now I'm wondering if the original poster was talking about no-gi as well? I have absolutely no advice on guard passing/holding with a gi.

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

In MMA I like getting my finger tips right in their arm pits, keep my head down, and put my elbows right on their solarplexes. Then put the knee in the butt and keep pressure. Then start dropping short elbows into the solarplexes. It doesn't take much to take the wind away and you can put a lot more power in the elbows than you think. They will open it eventually.

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

why not?

19. chechen

doesnt work as well when someones got muscular legs.. or youre in a competition. it doesnt bother everyone enough to open their guard.

20. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

guess i gotta start doing squats more often :o

21. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

The people it works on, it works well. But I've only had it work about 30% of the time.

22. chechen

yep.. techniques that put pressure on the feet and ankles work a lot better.

23. reddragonmd

reddragonmd Fudo Shin

Your best bet with someone who has either freakishly strong legs, or 7' long legs in no gi is just to make him think your spazzing out trying to get out and being wreckless trying anything. But in actuality you are moving from one pass to another, and almost fienting a submission he will go for. For instance, place your elbow *slightly* off his stomach to one side. An experienced grappler will try and set up an arm bar or another sub. But to get that arm bar he needs to open his legs. etc etc etc. Play the game and make him move how you wanthim to.

24. abrion sector

abrion sector New Member

everyone in here who just tried to give their advice about passing the closed guard is a complete neophyte. i'd be surprised if anyone is actually ranked higher than a white belt in jj

25. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Good first post.