MMA Breaking a plateau

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by d0nk3ypunch, Mar 23, 2006.

1. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

What do you guys do when you feel stuck at a certain level?

For a while now it just feels like I haven't improved at all. I'm training more often than before, but I don't feel like I'm getting any better.

Any "tricks" the more experienced guys here use?

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

What is it you feel isn't improving?

Ability or strength?

I've been at the point in MT practice where I just feel like I am incapable of furthering my intuition on what someone else might to or my speed, but just keep working at it and you'll get through it.

3. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Sorry I should have specified, this is for bjj. technique

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

You should take a week break and just think. My only breaks have been forced ones from vacation and my wisdom teeth surgery, but both times I came back I had a new drive and had improved a good deal.

5. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

a week or a few days off will do wonders.

6. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I was gonna mention the exact same thing as the above 2 did. I'm taking a couple days off and all I can think about is certain techniques and how I can apply them to no-gi and etc.

Take a short break.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

It seems like the general consensus here is that you should take a short break.

Also, if you feel like something in particular is holding you back like flexibility or strength, you may want to adapt (or adopt, if you don't already) your workout program to have that goal in mind.

Good luck. I bet you'll feel past it in a couple weeks... There's always hard times where we doubt ourselves. :hs:

8. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

:werd:

thanks for the advice guys. I had considered taking about a month off and training at the local boxing gym instead

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

try getting some new instructionals on a part of the game that you feel weak at. Watch it over and over and over and over and over and over until you feel like you understand the move(s) and then practice a few of them each day during drills and during rolling. Every week change the few moves you are practicing.

10. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

I switched martial art heh. Whenever I felt like I wasn't learning anymore, wether it's because there isn't anymore to learn there or because the teacher was slacking off, I'd leave and find another place. You could always look more stuff up online and try it out in class.

11. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

In basically any martial art (especially BJJ), there's usually always something new to learn.

Like today, my bjj instructor (brown belt) learned something new when teaching the white belt class. I mean, it wasn't a new move or anything, but just a slight hand adjustment that made it easier for people to do the move.