MIL Break these two MI positions down for me.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shiba, Dec 31, 2009.

1. shiba

shiba Active Member

[FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Sigint/electronic warfare officer 35G, and Security Officer 35D

Did some research online and it seems to me that they're just collecting and disseminating information. Does anyone here actually hold these positions or know about them and can advise me on which would be a better choice for my career? I'm leaning towards security officer because it seems more interesting on paper, but this would not be the first time something that sounded good turned out to be completely boring and different from what i had in mind..

[/FONT]

2. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Interested to know as well.

If I get selected for the Army OCS college option I'll get to choose MI. :hs:

3. Off

Off Memento Mori

without getting specific SIGINT/EW involves the interception and interruption of enemy transmissions (of all types). An officer within an EW organization would definitely be more involved with management, dissemination and/or analysis rather than the technical stuff.

the only reference for 35D I can find is for all source intelligence officer, link to security officer? For us a security officer is a staff position, usually battalion level or higher, and involves lots of gay paperwork and other shit (such as making sure pers have proper security clearance for their posn, ensuring buildings properly secure assets within etc).

All source intelligence officer sounds like more of a generalist MOS. You'd be in/head a (small, to start) G2 shop or head a sub-section such as plans, or be an analyst within a larger org. Probably brief a lot of COs and Generals, so if you dont like public speaking, learn to love it or pick something else.

The plus with 35d is that you can learn a lot more shit vs EW which is a specialty.

4. Kafka

Kafka New Member

cool info

5. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Not sure why these MOS's have "Officer" in the title, as of 2004, these two MOS titles didn't include officer, in my mind that means it's no longer an enlisted MOS but I know that's not true. So Kafka I dont' think these apply to what you're interested, being an MI branch officer and doing anything related to these specific MOSs don't usually have anything to do with one another. Here's my input from an enlisted perspective though:

35G is what I was (98g back then...), you get to go to language school in California for 6 months-2 years, get a clearance, tech school for 4 months in Texas, then you'll go to either a strategic or tactical assignment.

CONUS (within the US) Strategic assignment = you have a daily mission you perform, in an office, with no windows! You'll have a 9-5 type schedule, will not deploy, but will generally work 50-60 hours a week between your military duties and live mission.

Tactical assignment = you will be stationed at a large army base wherein you will be just like rest of the Army, you will do all the same mundane crap, equip, train, and prepare to deploy. You will learn how to change oil in a HumV, and you will hate it. You will deploy on a rotation with the rest of the army to perform a "tactical collection" job. But honestly, you'll probably just stand guard duty somewhere while your language skills deteriorate.

Overseas Strategic Assignment = for someone like a Korean linguist, you would go to Korea, and work in deployment type atmosphere with a live mission to work everyday, never did this so I can't tell you too much more.

Great bonuses of this MOS are that you are 200% marketable in the intelligence community if and when you choose to ETS. Strategic and Tactical assignment both have their "challenges" to deal with, but both have their benefits. I benefited most from my strategic assignment, finished my degree, networked, deployed on a TDY that got me an excellent job post-military, etc.

This MOS also holds ample opportunity to go to three (that I know of) tier 1 units if you're into that sort of thing... you'll have to be better than the average linguist, and twice as good as the average soldier if you want to get through selection for one of those units.

Hope this helps.

6. Kafka

Kafka New Member

oh, that sucks, sounded cool :hs:

7. shiba

shiba Active Member

These are area of concentrations within the MI branch for officers. You are correct that there are enlisted MOS with the same designations but the actual jobs are different.

8. ggr12

ggr12 . OT Supporter

correction The Method. 35G is an imagery analyst. Either you mean 35P which is crypto linguist or 35N which is SIGINT Analyst which can have a language tagged on.

9. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

maybe I'm wrong, they changed the MOS identifiers a few years ago, the Signal Interceptor mos he described above is a crypto-linguist though...

10. Kafka

Kafka New Member

So is the description The Method gave is for the enlisted positions, yes?

Where can we find the descriptions for the officer positions within MI? :o

11. shiba

shiba Active Member

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjob1/a/intel.-uyn.htm

not really much else different online about these positions. That is why I'm looking for a POV here.