MMA Brandon Vera ready for Sylvia??

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by darkjedi, Nov 19, 2006.

1. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

I've been watching Vera for a while and have been impressed, this kid is up and coming much like GSP was in 04 when he was on a win streak..

for those not familiar he is a BJJ blackbelt whos won many competitions in BJJ, Muay Thai and Wresting comps. so he is very well rounded and has the tools to finish a fight anywhere. trains with Rob Kaman, Dean Lister, Lloyd Irvin... This kid is no doubt the future of the UFC HW division..

does anyone else feel that he needs to fight more top level HW competition or do you guys think that he is ready for Sylvia??

2. RMarks

RMarks New Member

What top level HW competition is there in the UFC. Vera is the number one contender. He demolished Mir tonight in 2 minutes? 4 fights in the UFC and I don't think he's been in the cage a full 15 minutes(fighting atleast lol)

3. niptorious

niptorious New Member

He is probably the #1 contender in the heavyweight division but I dont think he could beat Sylvia and it would be a toss up between him and Arlovski in a #1 contender's match.

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Who else in the HW is there for him to fight? I think it is time for him to get his shot. He has a lot of momentum going into this fight.

5. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

good luck to him. I hope he smashes that big goon.

6. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i'd like to see him pushed in a long fight mentally more...anyways he's way too small for someone like sylvia...they are on exact opposite sides of the HW divison...sylvia practically cuts to make 265...and vera bulks for HW...but he did come in pretty heavy this time at 230....still too small of a frame...needs to go to LHW...i want to see someone legitimate that can really test sylvia

7. Kuet

Kuet New Member

AA ??

8. Suspect

Suspect .

it was dumb for him to run his mouth "im gonna knock ur ass out" he looked like shit in the ring with monson. vera is gonna take his title.

9. Suspect

Suspect .

i say he looked like shit cuz the guy had a huge advantage and didnt use it. he couldve easily knocked him out, but instead just walked around the ring (oct). there was action only bcuz monson was wanting to shoot. other than that tim didnt do shit. he shoulda let his hands go. i hope vera knocks his ass out.

they should put Vera against AA 1st then tim.

10. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Yeah AA is top level, but I wouldn't make him the gatekeeper of the HW division or else Sylvia won't be fighting anybody for a long ass time haha.

I really don't think Vera has anything left to prove, he's been in the cage 4 times and dominated every guy he's faced. He's earned his shot at a title, especially in the really thin UFC HW division.

11. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

Yeah, I'd like to see Vera get pushed in a longer fight. Kind of the same way I felt about Swick before Loiseau.

Vera would have a lot of trouble getting a knee to Sylvia's melon, which is a big part of his arsenal so far. It would be his toughest fight yet.

12. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

As much as I dislike Vera's attitude the guy is fuckin GOOD!

I think he has the talent to beat Sylvia but he might just be too damn small.

13. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I'd like to see him fight Sylvia, but I'm afraid the size difference might be too much for him to handle... I suppose we'll find out as he should be next in line for the belt after looking impressive in all his fights so far, and absolutely demolishing Mir... I believe the whole reason for the Mir fight was to legitamize him for a title shot...

14. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

he's a brown belt actually

15. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

in for vera against AA

16. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

they have to give him to silvia becasue if they have an AA v Vera fight they might end up with AA left standing which nobody wants to see AA silvia 4. They need to try to get Vera the Championship then AA v Vera.

17. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

I find myself agreeing with you on most things. Minus the steelers, especially after today :greddy: .

18. Mannaze

Mannaze New Member

You should see Vera in real life, he looks freaking huge. He is a trainer at the facility where I train; He seems to really love cardio, too.

19. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Sylvia is too tall for Vera to hurt him from the clinch. I think it comes down to speed. If Vera is fast enough to avoid Tim's shots and hit him like Arlovski did in the first and second fights, he could win. Otherwise Tim will use his reach to get the decision/KO/TKO.

20. Kuet

Kuet New Member

just like monson:wtc: well i know ONE guy that stands about 6'0 that could demolish sylvia...but it will never happen.