GUN Brand new unissued SKS or RC k98?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mds2004, Jan 5, 2006.

1. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I can get the SKS for $150 and the k98 for $200. I will buy both sometime, but just one right now. I am thinking of getting the SKS because that will be harder to find new later, and get the Mauser later because it will always be used.

Which would you choose?

Also note Im in California so there would be no grenade launcher on the SKS.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yugo SKS? $150 is good price for unissued, theres plenty of k98's out there to be had for less then $200 too.

3. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

OP, you must be considering getting a rifle from Interordnance. I know that they just got some unissued Yugo's in. However, I just purchased a # coded RC K98 from them and couldn't be happier. My rifle was full of markings with a couple peened out.

Actually, I'd have to disagree. Most of the K98's under $200 are Yugo captures, which have had the original Nazi marking peened out and replaced with the Yugo crest.

The recent batch of Russian captured K98's hitting the market have close to full Nazi markings and are a good value at $200.

In the end go for the K98.

Edit: Here's pic of my I/O RC K98. It's the bottom one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ah ok I didnt put the RC together for russian capture.. with nazi markings yeah $200 is a good deal.

5. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Ok cool, I will call IO tommorow to place an order for their k98 :)
    Timmy, is yours numbered or lettered or s code? Did you pay the extra $20 for them to hand pick it? Did you choose and codes specifically? This is going to be my first purxchase for a k98, plus a first on an unseen purchase. What information did you give them to pick yours?

6. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

I got a numbered (aka "S") coded one from them. From what I've read they only have letter coded ones left. I paid the $20 for the handpick on the bore but not the specific code. I wanted a rifle that was a good shooter.

I understand your hesitancy on purchasing guns sight unseen. I was afraid of this too when I first got my C&R FFL. However most reputable companies,(ie. AIM, SOG, I/O, Classic) will allow you to return a rifle if you're not pleased. Hope you have a large bank account, because collecting Milsurps can become a real addiction. I've purchase 7 C&R firearms in just the last 5 months.

7. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Thanks, Il call them up tommorow. I too am looking for one that will be a good shooter.

BTW, how does your k98 shoot?

8. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

Haven't had the time to go to the range yet. The storms of last week have prevented me from getting out to the range.