Brand New Car - How should I prep it?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by anjego, Jul 8, 2003.

1. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

I'm getting a brand new VW GTI tomorrow. Any thoughts on what I should do to it immediatley? Give it a wax? Clay bar? Nothing?

:dunno:

2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

CHeck autopia, theres alot of info reguarding this.

Usually a dawn wash, a claybar, and typical wash, followed by a glaze and a wax is the norm. Unless you have the dreaded Dealer Installed Swirl Marks, then you will probibly have to whip out somthing heavier like DACP, or SMR2.0

3. mc technik

mc technik your purrty...

brand new eh? dont really have to do much with if its new, just wash. most people say to wait 90 days untill you wax a new car, the paint needs to breathe or something.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

STOP OBSESSING OVER THE DAMN DAWN WASHING! IT IS COMPLETELY UNECESSARY UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO USE ZAINOS OR STRIP THE CAR FOR PAINTING.

1. Do not let the dealer wax the car. Tell them you will refuse the car if they wax it and leave buffer swirls in the paint.

2. Wash the car with a car wash soap.

3. If the paint has a gritty feel at all, then you need to clay. New cars are susceptable to imbedded grit during transport, especially by rail.

3. Use a light polish or glaze like Meguiars #7 or Hand Polish, S100 SEC or Vanilla Moose.

4. Wax with a good carnuba or a sealant like Final Polish.

5. Wash and vacuum whenever necessary. Do not let dirt and grime built up for weeks on end without removing it.

5. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

:cool: thanks for the advice :bigthumb:

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I know Scott, i know....

But h9onestly, im becomeing more of an advocate of the dawn wash, simply becuase there are certain contaminants that the dawn will remove that the Gold Class car wash wont. Plus if im going to clay, i like to dawn wash to remove the wax. Cause its annoying as hell to have wax buildup in your clay.

Its just my own personal preference, and thats the reasns for why i do it. If you dont feel teh need to do it, great. But some of us do like the results we get from using it, and prefer to use it when needed.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Using dish soap on a regular basis is not good for your paint. Not only does it remove the wax, but it can strip oils out of the paint. I much prefer using a polish to remove old wax, especialy since polishing adds to the shine and depth of the paint where Dawn does not.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, its certaintly not somthing i do regularly...only when i need to, and only the first time i detail a car, to get whatever shit they put on there previously, off...especially if i clay bar, becuase the clay has a nasty habbit of gunking up with the wax, and sliding right over the grit in the paint. Plus id rather not gunk up a pad using a polish to remove old wax, and debris, after washing, only to do it again later. It seems like a waste of time, rescources, and product to me.

Its not a everytime i wash thing, only when i need it.
    I think your kind of stuck on believing that the dawn wash is an everyday thing for people that wash with it. And its not. 90% of the time, i use regualt Gold Class car wash, and by the time i go to re polish and treat teh surface of my car, the wax has already mostly evaporated or worn off. So its a none issue at that point. And i DO take it off with a polish.

9. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

I'm sensing hostility in this thread.

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Meh, not really, just a difference in oppinions.