Brand New 1969 Chevrolet Camaros

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Pioneer, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

New '69 Camaro

You will soon be able to buy a crate Camaro body or a complete car
    Body = ~$12K
    Car = ~$40K

2. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

3. austynn2001

austynn2001 Guest

are they original, restored cars?

4. Pioneer

No, completely new and nothing to do with GM, in fact, until they get approval from GM they can NOT be called Camaros

5. Pioneer

6. No Thanks

No Thanks Guest

Thats fucking retarted.

I'm restoring a '67 'stang and I think that idea is fucking bullshit.

Driving a classic car is about it's heritage and the vehciles life... the history that the machine that you're operating has, also, the process of restoration.

It's circumventing the hard work that is generally required to own a classic vehicle, I think that this will take down on the value of the car, and the pride that an owner gets from driving one.

Fuck that.

They better have different names than the original vehicles.

7. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Good then I can afford one :o

67/68 fastbacks are my favorite mustangs of all time, but you cant even find one that could be driven everyday even while needing work for less than 13k.

IMO these are sweet because now if people want to chop them up to make some crazy custom or a deicated race car they wont be cutting up originals :dunno:

8. Pioneer

My only problem is I like the oddball cars that there are no resto/aftermarket parts for.

Mopar catalogs are all about A, B, and E bodies --- maybe a few C body parts but no parts for a D body unless it's a common part which not many D body parts are common with the others.

Mopar bodies
    A = Dart, pre-70 Barracuda
    B = Charger, Coronet, SuperBee, GTX, Road Runner
    C = Chryslers and fullsize Dodge/Plymouth
    D = Imperials
    E = Challenger, 70+ Barracuda/'Cuda

I've got a '65 Imperial Crown Coupe (production total = 3974) with a Black Plum interior (ultra rare interior -- '65 Crown only)

9. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

I kind of agree with you, I have a 69 Camaro and it sort of defeats the whole purpose. Now there will be soccer moms driving around in them as daily drivers. I think it will ruin the excitement that these cars create when seen if this idea really takes off and people buy them. :wtc: That's the best part about a 60's musclecar not everyone has one. If you do have one then each year it becomes more special and rare.

10. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

I agree wholeheartedly. Now I won't cringe when I see where some jackass tubbed out a Camaro Pace Car or a chopped up a rare optioned car.

For all of you purists-Your car is still the real deal. You have a VIN#, a history, and the value.

Both sides still win IMO.

Soccermoms won't be bumbing around in a cloned COPO 427/4sp Camaro anytime soon.
    They are selling these as shells. Starting with the convertible body-$12,000, bare shell. Doors and a decklid, no front clip.
    CARS says they will sell a complete convertible, painted, running, etc. for around $40,000.

Think about it, the Shelby Cobra has had tons of clones running around for years. Has it hurt the appeal and value of the originals? No, the good replicas go for 50K and less, the originals are into the six figures.

Your "real" Camaro will always bring the bigger dollar.

11. Jake!

Jake! Guest

If that were true wouldn't there be alot more roadsters & classics from the 20s-50s??? They have been selling those bodies and frames forever.

12. Pioneer

Hmmmm, COPO 9560 + COPO 9737 + Yenko :x:

NOTE: Yenkos were COPO 9561. COPO 9560 was the ZL-1

13. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

COPO's-

There were all kinds of COPO's, (Central Office Production Order) IIRC.

A good friend of my family sold off his two COPO Camaro's he bought new off the lot about ten years back.
    One was a non-SS, non-RS, plain Jane white 427/425 4sp car with a bench seat, radio delete, no A/C, etc., black interior.
    His second he used to drag race from day one. Never chopped it up either. I don't remember the class he ran in NHRA, but I know it was ?/S, like C/S or something.
    It was a blue non-SS, non-RS, 427/425 4sp car with black interior, 4.10 12 bolt, and nothing else.
    Both cars were cold to a collector who researched old records through Chevy dealerships who sold these cars back in the day. Just called him one day and shoed up with cash another.
    Neither cars were ZL-1's of course, but still desirable cars.

14. Kriz

Kriz Active Member

I like the idea, if your building a race car it gives you an option other then cutting up an original car. The fact that its steel and not fiber glass is cool to. There are to many glass kit cars out there these days.

15. Pioneer

Kinda sucks that he sold em but ... oh well

There are three COPOs that I know of (all 69s) --- 9560 - iron block 427 ('67-'68 427s were tranplants)
    9561 - ZL1 (almost made it as regular production) - 50 went to one dealer (Fred Gibb - who ended up shipping most of them back) and other dealers ordered 19 more
    9737 - Sport Car conversion - E70X15 tires on Rally Wheels, a 140 mph speedometer, and a 1 inch front stabilizer bar

16. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

Yeah but do they sell complete turn key cars? Or just bodies. Apparently this company offers a turn key.

17. Pioneer

What's the difference?

Anyone can build one with all the aftermarket/reproduction parts out there -- this company is just saving someone who would do it the time it would take to get all those parts.

<--- Wonders if they build them to order or just builds generic (ie, can you tell them "I want a 427" or do they only build with 350s)

18. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

19. Moloko

Moloko New Member

The prices quoted are for just the body. Thats it. Just a body. So dont worry about it bringing down the cost of the cars anytime soon. They are mainly aimed for people who have a rusty-ass body and it would be cheaper to replace the whole damn body than change every individual panel.

20. zatar

zatar New Member

Don't kid yourself. Soccer moms will not be driving 69 camaro replicas to the store.

21. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

They will sell like hot cakes, at $12,000 you can't restore a car for less than that. N.O.S quaters for the camaro's are hard to find and over a grand a peice. The aftermarket parts are junk, I have seen doors that need an inch added to each side to get the door gap right.

22. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

I think its the best thing to happen to hot rodding in decades. I bought that issue of Hot Rod just for that article. :cool:

23. Oman4x4

Oman4x4 OT Supporter

That's cool, especially for the Hot-Rod type, rather than the "purists".

24. Pioneer

<<---- waiting for crate Daytonas :x:

25. mf101

mf101 Guest

:coold:

I may finally get one then :x: