Brakes, GOLF GLS issues! HELP HELP HELP

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by OniMinion, Jan 20, 2007.

1. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

We just finished installing aftermarket brake pads and rotors, the issue came with two things: The ABS light stays lit; and the brakes, when pressed, feel like they have NO pressure. There is NOT a brake fluid leak found anywhere, any ideas?

:noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes::noes:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Make sure you reattached the retention clips to the front calipers. They're there to keep the caliper from bending away from the disc under pressure.

If that's not the problem, then it sounds like the brakes need to have air bubbles bled out of them. I also have aftermarket pads and rotors, but I didn't have the problem you described, so I highly doubt its the hardware.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing. When you put the rear pads on, did you use the special tool that rotates the rear caliper piston as it pushes it in? If you just used a clamp, you might have broken the emergency brake mechanism inside the rear calipers.

3. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

You didn't let the master cylinder and ABS pump run dry did you? If you did you have to use a scan tool (vag-com, VAS) to start its bleeding cycle.

-Jason

4. OniMinion

We're checking the system for Bubbles again today, but it appears like it is going to be an issue with the ABS system. All the clips are in place, and we DID use the tool for the rear pads. We'll see what happens today!

Of, FYI; if the ABS pump ever goes out on you, GOOD LUCK GETTING ONE QUICKLY, it was going to take 3 days since it was only available in CA!

5. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

If you need another one I have a spare.... Your car doesn't have ASR does it?

If you ran the ABS pump dry you have to bleed it, and that takes the computer tool. You go into 'basic settings' mode, and that activates the bleeding procedure. One person sits in the car and operates the scan tool and the brake pedal, and 1 or 2 others operate the brake bleeder valves. It uses a lot of fluid.

-Jason

6. OniMinion

Ok Ok OK, I did have one, so thank you. We fixed it, to top it off, the rear calipar was also broken, so the ABS light stayed on because the speedometer sensor was also broken back there. It is fixed, but what a headache!!!!