brake dust

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by sierraelement, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Okay, since the search option is not available to me anymore since I'm a tight-ass, I've looked through the first few pages of this forum and didn't see anything about this. I'm sure it's been covered before, but it's much easier for me to just ask again instead of burning an hour looking through every forum.

What is the best / easiest way to get brake dust off of aluminum wheels? It's been on there for a few months without being scrubbed off, so it's probably pretty baked on. The rims aren't necessarily valuable or anything, I just hate them looking like crap.

I've tried several products / techniques, but the best I can come up with is the old toothbrush method with a grease-cutting multi-purpose cleaner like Simple Green. That takes forever and unless I take all the lug nuts off and polish them individually, they'll look like crap anyway. I've been seriously considering one of those hand-held steam cleaners like they sell on QVC or something. They make it look so easy.

Is there any type of spray-on stuff that will magically melt that stuff off with minimal scrubbing?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If actually scrubbing isn't going very fast, then a spray isn't going to work like magic. You might want to try P21S wheel cleaner. You do have to let it sit a while and still will have to scrub a bit but it works pretty good on baked on brake dust.

Switching to a ceramic brake pad will really cut down on the dust in the future.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

Also, there is a new product out that is called Michelin Brake Dust Repellent, suppose to keep wheels cleaner longer by repelling the brake dust. Im trying it right now, will report later how well it works, there is a post over on autopia and it looks like it really works well

4. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i bought one of those Shark steam cleaner things, and it worked pretty damn well.

then i put some "Wheel Wax" (bought it at autogeek.net - search there), and that stuff is pretty impressive.

it'll be interesting to see how well it repels brake dust after my first trackday next weekend. :x:

5. pestilence

pestilence infiniti g35 - 298rwhp

results? :x:

6. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

update? i'm thinking about getting one of those handheld steamers too.