brake calipers for '99 accord?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by thrillhouse, Nov 14, 2007.

1. thrillhouse

thrillhouse New Member

the place i went to quoted me $1200 to replace the brake pads/calipers on my 99 honda accord 2door ex v6

i know that the new pads wouldnt be more than $200,
    and only two of my calipers need replacing (one in front, one in back). they said that means I have to replace all 4 because they come in sets of two.

then i called my mom and she said "oh you never should have gone to that place they always find something ridiculous and say its going to cost you a ridiculous amount to fix it"

how much would it really be to replace 2 calipers and brake pads (and do I really have to replace all 4 calipers?)

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What's wrong with the calipers? I don't think I've ever seen one of those that needed replacement.

3. thrillhouse

thrillhouse New Member

i dont even know, they just said one in front and one in back are "worn and need to be replaced"

when i called my mom to ask if she had any experience with this auto shop her reply was "oh yeah they always find something really expensive that needs to be fixed"

4. deusexaethera

Uh...are you sure they don't mean the ROTORS?

The calipers should never need to be replaced unless they're leaking or broken, and if they did need to be replaced, then yes it would cost a lot of money. Pads and rotors for all four wheels won't cost more than $600 tops. You could even do them yourself in an hour or two if you have a torque wrench, a large C-clamp, and a Haynes service manual from Autozone.

5. thrillhouse

thrillhouse New Member

no not the rotors, they said if i dont get them replaced soon then the rotors will get damaged. but im coming to the conclusion that these guys are con artists and i should go to a more trusted mechanic

6. deusexaethera

It's possible that there's a problem with your calipers; most cars have single-piston calipers that slide side-to-side in order to apply pressure to both brake pads, and I've had calipers get stuck on their sliders such that they ground one pad down to the metal while the other pad had >50% of its life left. Still, if that's the problem, all it takes to fix it is to rub some grease on the sliders and move them around a bit, not replace the whole damn caliper.

I would definitely get a second opinion before I let anyone do anything like that. Hell, take it to the gas station and get them to give you an estimate, if you don't want to make another appointment; at least you'll have a better idea whether the first shop was trying to rip you off.

If you can find a mechanic who will show you the problem in detail while your car is on the lift, he's a keeper.

7. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

Pads for the front and rear shouldn't run you more than $100. I don't see why your 99 accord would need new calipers at all. I have had numerous hondas that were 15-16 years old and don't have a bad caliper. Sounds like they are trying to get over on you. This is why I recommend everyone try to learn about cars and do their own work. In the end you can save yourself thousands of dollars.

8. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

you must be nuts to even listen to these idiots "mechanics".

You should laugh in front of them and tell them to suck your penor. Absolutely no reason to replace your brake calipers and yes they are fucking ripping you off with that price.

While they're at it, ask them to get rid of that tiny mythological unicorn in your exhaust system and go ahead and install that electronic power variable valve timing & lift control on your rotary engine.

9. xbishopx

xbishopx deusexaethera is a fucking idiot.

learn how to work on your own shit.

rotors from autozone, front and rear(rears last 3 times as long as the fronts)-$120 with a lifetime warranty.

pads-$30 for the fronts/rears, again lifetime.

calipers are about $50 a piece with a core.

calipers DO go out. depends on how hard you drive.

10. deusexaethera

Changing pads and rotors isn't hard if you have a torque wrench, a jack, and a C-clamp. Bleeding the brake lines is a lot trickier, though. If (and I stress if) something is wrong with the calipers, let a (believable) mechanic deal with it. Otherwise, I changed my pads and rotors with no prior experience, you can too.

11. thrillhouse

thrillhouse New Member

ok im getting a second opinion from a more trusted mechanic in a couple of days.

thanks a ton for the replies guys.

12. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

I wouldn't say trickier just more time consuming and you need a good pedal pusher...

13. breal

breal Active Member

calipers seize up sometimes. or they leak. and if you can take off the calipers to replace rotors, then im sure you can replace the calipers as well. bleeding the brakes is probably the easiest part of that too.

14. deusexaethera

I guess what I was getting at is, it's virtually impossible to replace pads and rotors improperly, because the parts won't fit. Replacing calipers allows a lot more chances to mess something up and not notice until you need the brakes to work RIGHT NOW.

15. xbishopx

lolz.

i was gonna laugh at him for saying bleeding brakes is tricky but i didnt want to be an asshole to someone whos hair makes him look like jesus.

16. breal

breal Active Member

its the same deal with calipers too. they either fit or they dont fit.

well, actually im not completely sure about that, and i cant explain it. so fuck it

17. deusexaethera

I'm not talking about what's easy or hard for you, I'm talking about what's likely to be easy or hard for the guy who started the thread. He's taking mechanic advice from his mother, for god's sake.

18. xbishopx

you dont know shit about cars. get fucked.

19. deusexaethera

This from a guy who joined last month. Nay, sir, I say nay; you go get fucked.

EDIT: Actually, don't. I'd hate to find out someone got nabbed as a child molester on your account. You know they're real sensitive about that shit these days.

20. breal

breal Active Member

whats so complicated about bleeding brakes?

21. deusexaethera

Doing it for the first time on a car you've never serviced yourself is what's complicated about it.

Am I the only one here who's considering the OP's apparent skill level when I post?

22. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

nope... However, I am still a firm believer that everyone should learn how to work on their own cars.

Otherwise you will get ripped off. My fiance's car pool took her car into a local Merchant's in Springfield, VA off rolling rd.. They claimed they did $1,050 worth of repairs/ work on her CR-V. However, seeing as I had worked on the car in the past (oil, tranny, diff, fluid changes and a few other small things) she wanted me to look over the invoice and her car. When I looked it over they charged 3 times what the dealer charges for factory parts. Did they put on factory parts?... nope, they put on garbage parts and not only that they didn't do half of the work they claimed they did. She ended up getting a refund of $650 for work that wasn't done and seriously overcharging of parts after I went in and bitched on her behalf. The manager was more than willing to do anything to make me happy because he knew I had them by the balls. This is a perfect example of some shops trying to get over on unsuspecting customers. That shit doesn't fly with me.

23. breal

breal Active Member

if he cant bleed the brakes, then id say hes SOL for changing any other part of the brake system.

whats so hard about it?

1. find bleeder, attach hose and container
    2. mom...pump brakes and hold down petal
    3. open bleeder, fluid comes out
    4. close bleeder, fill up brake reservoir
    5. repeat 2-4 until clean fluid comes out

24. deusexaethera

If the guy thinks he can handle replacing the calipers, fine, go for it. All I'm saying is that stuff involving bolts is easier to do (note the use of a relative term) than things involving caustic liquids and copper seals.

25. slikna

slikna Grenade

Your acting like its surgery. Its a simple bolt on job... takes maybe 2 hours for a novice. Bleeding is simple as hell assuming you can find a friend. Not seeing any reason he should get raped rather than do it himself. Spend 30 minutes researching how to do it and your set