SRS braces? looking for input

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by unorthadox, Feb 2, 2007.

1. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

For the longest time I didn't care about my appearance. I just sort of took it for what it was and went with it. Sure I would try to look nice, but I didn't do anything over and above to improve - just maintained. ... weird, now that I type that sentence alot of shit makes more sense to me.

So I'm finally starting to take things more seriously, not for the sake of others but for myself. I want to look good, and although other's opinions couldn't mean less to me, I won't feel my best until I know that the true "me" can be seen.

So with that being said (def too long of an intro! lol) I was wondering if any of you have expereiences with getting braces when you're older? I'm 20 now, turning 21 and am currently at school. Although I'd like to think that I could handle them, I always see those with braces and think 'Man that kid looks 12 what is he doin here,' etc etc.

Do you think it's that big of a deal? How long are they normally on for? Thanks for any input. Lateball.

2. Gli

Gli i can has fast duck?

Get invisalign. It's an invisible "retainer" almost that moves your teeth and you continually get new ones which push them closer and closer to the right spot. Hardly visible unless you know it's there.

http://www.invisalign.com/generalapp/us/en/index.jsp

3. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

21 with braces. Most people don't even notice them because of the way my smile is, but nobody thinks it's a big deal. They just say "Hey, when did you get braces?" and then start telling you about how they had braces when they were younger.

4. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

How is the lisp factor on those? And are they affordable for students?

I appreciate the info though :).

5. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

There isn't any lisp at all. The most annoying aspect of it is getting food stuck in it. But you get used to it. I've lucked out and I get my braces for free. I am a student, but I don't really know how much they would normally put you back.

6. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

My mom's got prety good insurance from being a teacher but she retires in a couple years so if I get them now hopefully I could be done with them before she is done at her school.

Thanks for the insight too, bounty :). Are they working for you

7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

the lisp factor is non-existant after the first week or so. When I had braces, the worst part wasnt the look (since people are used to braces these days, and most people have had them, so they dont make fun of them or anything) but rather the soreness everytime they were adjustable.

My advice: If you can afford them/get insurence to pay for them, go for it.

8. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

yeah ure mouth gets used them in a day or two... i would personally wait for spring break and put them on than.. so you get used to it for a couple days! but i don't think it's a big deal, and i think they set you back 2k... but check out invisalign, i know a couple of people that have them and they said they didn't cost much more than traditional braces... =)

9. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

I had braces from 8th-11th grades in High School. I had clear brackets on the top-front 6 or so teeth so when I talked/smiled they barely showed up. Look into those.

If you get the clear ones don't go with the clear rubber bands around the brackets because they turn yellow after a while... go with the white.

EDIT: As far as the invisilign go: I think they only work for minor adjustments. If you have some teeth that are moderately or more out of alignment I don't think you can go for those.

10. bs2100

bs2100 New Member

I had braces about 10 years ago so I can't remember for sure, but I think I tried white rubber bands once and I ate spaghetti, so I ended up with nasty rust orange bands. But I can't remember what colors I usually went with.

I thought I heard about how they can put braces on the inside of your teeth now, do they still do that or do they just stick with normal and the invisible retainer?

11. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

Yep, I've had them on for 15 months. Almost done.

12. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

I never had the discoloration with white/other colors. As for the inner side braces I don't know. I have a plate on my front teeth (on the back) that keeps them together that I'll have forever.

My retainer was the same as an invisilign that I never changed. I wore it for a few months and stopped.

13. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Thanks guys and girls for all the input so far. I've got an appt booked with my dentist so we'll see what happens.

14. element4all

element4all Active Member

i had braces and then had to wear a retainer to keep them from moving for about a year or two. but my ortho says that i should wear the retainer forever, which makes me think, i payed alot of money just to straighen my teeth but only to have them move back 5 years later if i dont wear the retainar all the time.

15. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

get invisalign. its worth it.

16. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

not true, youd be amazed by what they can do.

17. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Totally get braces. I had them for a long time (because I was too lazy to go in, I was in HS) and they made a big difference.

The only thing I *regret* was, believe it or not, NOT having them break my jaw to align it properly. As a result, they had to pull 8 of my teeth and move all sorts of shit around (with braces) to get it all fixed. It would have been far easier to break my jaw, be wired for 30-60 days or whatever, and then just straighten what I had. Instead, it took me like 3 years. :eek3:

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

*note to the thread starter*

Most people dont have to go through this, dont let it scare you off ;)

19. teo

teo . => ? => !

I don't see any problems at all with getting braces a little later in life. Not everyone has the money to undergo treatment in their teen years, and I've seen plenty of adults with braces on.

If you want to have them on for the shortest amount of time possible, wear your elastics or any other peripheral supporting gear as much as your orthodontist recommends. Mine were projected to be on for 2.5 years and I ended up finishing orthodontic treatment in under 2 years for "good behaviour". (eg. I had larger elastics surrounding multiple brackets to pull my teeth in line, and the only time those elastics weren't on was when I was eating.)

20. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

Do they affect sports performance at all? I'm very involved in prety much every sport, so I'm just a bit concerned that I won't be able to do some of the things I used to in order to be careful of 'not blowing an elastic' out... or is that just nonsense.

21. 311-420

311-420 New Member

hahha..braces dont affect shit except appearance. i had mine for 5 yrs and 1 month. just a little bit of pain to look better than the average joe,i suppose. even though most people my age have had them.

22. teo

teo . => ? => !

Get one of those moldable mouth guards. That's what I did. It worked just fine.

23. mag07ttu

mag07ttu New Member

If insurance will cover it or you can afford it, do it. I had braces for a grand total of six years and those six years paid off. Big time. As for age, don't worry about it. A good friend of mine is about to turn 25 and he has braces. And no, he doesn't look 12. Just think about it this way, you'll like the end result, and you'll quit worrying about your appearance.

24. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

LOL dont box or spar with out a mouth guard. They will rip the inside of your lips to all hell. I learned that the hard way. :rofl::rofl:

25. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

i'm 29 and am going to get braces...