Brabus E V12 Coupe: 2010 Geneva Auto Show

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fail You Too, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Fail You Too

Fail You Too New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From InsideLine.com:

2. Fail You Too

Fail You Too New Member

Key Notes:

Twin-Turbo 6.3L V12
    788hp/1047ft/lb
    0-60 in 3.7sec
    Top speed- 217mph
    AUTOMATIC

3. Fail You Too

Fail You Too New Member

IMO it looks pretty bad ass. Up to the point of the rear panels looking like they were snapped on. The interior needs some work...to much going on.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ya know, the endless parade of insanely-powerful Brabus-tuned Mercedes' is getting kinda stale -- especially since Mercedes' weigh so goddamn much. 788hp and a half a ton-foot of torque and all it can manage is 0-60 in 3.7? I mean, that's definitely impressive, but the Lamborghini Diablo did the same with lower horsepower back in the early 90's. Maybe if the E-Series weren't built out of solid lead bricks it would be able to go faster.

Oh, but I see it has a carbon-fiber air intake and filter box to try to save weight. Well that's nice, I'm sure it's about 0 grams lighter than the stock plastic airbox. You know why? Because carbon-fiber IS PLASTIC with carbon fabric inside it. That makes it a hell of a lot stronger, so it's a good replacement for metal, which is heavy, but it's a shitty replacement for plastic, which is light. I wonder how much extra they charge for that "upgrade".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. Fail

Fail New Member

Mercedes needs to stop worrying about making epic engines and worry about their shitty traction control systems and ancient suspension methods.

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Too bad about the carbon over fenders, but that illuminated logo on the skirts is :fawk:. More than you can afford, pal.

+1

At first glance I though it was just the square stitched floor trim- but looking closer it's suede, carbon, cream leather, black leather and everything is trimmed in contrasting double stitches. Keep it simple, stupid; but all of that still wouldn't stop me from driving it.

I think they used carbon because it's more heat resistant than plastic, keep the hot air from the engine from affecting the intake temp. :dunno:

7. deusexaethera

Swiped from the University of Wikipedia:

"Turbostratic carbon fibers tend to have high tensile strength, whereas heat-treated mesophase-pitch-derived carbon fibers have high Young's modulus and high thermal conductivity."

CF is actually worse than solid plastic if you're trying to insulate the intake stream from engine bay heat. They used carbon fiber because it looks fancy and costs a lot. Can't have a car that expensive using plain old plastic, now, can we? Nooo...

8. deusexaethera

Actually I'm fine with the ancient suspension designs. Every "modern" multi-link suspension design I've seen fails the "don't get bent by a pothole" test. Dual-wishbone is the best in terms of strength vs. sophistication, MacPherson struts are an acceptable second.

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I think carbon fiber's insulation and heat reflection properties far outweigh any conductivity it has when compared to plastics. I'm also not denying that Brabus' R&D or a portion of it was based solely on looks and/or retail.

Carbon as a standalone material is only slightly higher in thermal conductivity than ABS plastic, but carbon fiber is a composite and the conductivity of epoxy is significantly lower (75%). I'm not trying to outsmart you with internet sources, but I'm sure there are reasons beyond their melting temperature and aesthetics as to why heat shields and exhausts are made from carbon fiber and not polypropylene.