Boxing...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Moofman, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moofman

Moofman Whose name you comin' in? By Who power?

Not sure if this is in the right forum but...
    I'm trying to get into boxing.

*Typical high-schooler
    *lifted for football
    *5'11 175
    *I'm pretty fit, i gained some weight over the summer, but im running/jumproping/swimming it all off right now

Anything you guys would suggest?
    Stuff to buy, things to do, tups/suggestions?
    Anything would help.

If i'm in the wrong forum, sorry in advanced

2. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Would probably do better in "The Cage" sub-forum, no biggie.

3. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

"The cage" forum would probably be better to answer your questions.

Just to throw my .02 out there..... I have been studying a few different forms of martial arts over the last 10 or so years, including Jeet Kune Do and Muay Thai Kickboxing, both of which have adapted some traditional boxing style intor their art.

When starting off, spend half your training time doing conditioning/cardio movements and exercises to increase your stamina and the other half actually practicing your foot-work and basic boxing techniques. As you progress, your actual "boxing" will become more intense and you can spend more time on that which inturn will create higher stamina in correlation to your ultimate goal: Boxing.

Also, try and talk a friend into getting involved with it also. Having a sparring partner helps out a lot and as you both learn new things together, you will also learn from one another.

There is a lot more to be said, but I will save it. You might to consider getting involved with an organization that teaches classes... If you cannot find anything specifically boxing, check out Muay Thai. It is all around better IMO anyways.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Lots of cardio. Weights if you want, but bag training/sparring/shadowboxing is most important in addition to cardio. Weights will surely add to your game if you do strength training (for boxing... for MMA or just wrestling/grapping that can be debated).

As far as equipment goes... Try getting a heavy punching bag for home. 60+ lbs is fine. 14oz gloves are good for bagwork (everlast brand is never a letdown).

Otherwise, listen to your instructor, practice a lot, and work hard. Do these things and you will perform well. Also don't be scared of getting hit. Once you learn to take a hit you will have improved your game by 11tybillion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.