Box Squatting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GOGZILLA, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

Recently when box squatting especially in gear as the weight gets heavier its been pretty hard to hit depth. I had no idea what was going on but kept trying to pile more weight on the bar thinking that would get me deeper but still to the same result. I was always a couple inches from parallel. After getting a couple tips from another guy in our gym I had absolutely no problem on hitting parallel with 465 straps down in my prosquatter. Before I could barely hit depth with 635. The difference was still breaking at the hips but throwing the knees out and coming more straight down. As the weight gets heavier people tend to bend over or get pulled over forward a little more. When this happens it will also pull your butt up keeping you from depth. For just about any guy having depth problems in our gym this has fixed it. When you read sit back some people over do it making their bodies too folded over and bringing the butt up. Watch this video:

http://www.irongladiators.com/videos/IronGTeamSquat.mpg

For most of the squatters they have high bar positioning which also pulls them forward. But as the weight gets heavier you can see them cutting their squat more and more because the weight is pulling them forward more.

cliffs: the more errect positioning you can keep your torso in the deeper and easier you can hit depth in the squat

2. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

good post, very easy to see the difference in the vid. Look at brent with 905 compared to his 805 squat.

3. GOGZILLA

right. youre going to come forward a little bit its pretty much inevitable but you want to keep your torso as erect and still through the motion as possible. itll help push your ass down and use more of the leverage of the gear by keeping the knees out. i might be able to make a video this coming week of the difference

4. What about people that arent in gear?

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

God I want a monolift

6. GOGZILLA

Yes. the straighter you can stay the more poundage youre going to be able to handle by putting all the load on your legs and glutes without having to worry about dumping forward

7. GOGZILLA

More than likely just a weak lower back. Try to do more assistance work for it like GM's, RDLs and reverse hypers

8. i cant sit back and stay erect at the same time...

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

:mamoru:

Sorry, I just finished watching 'The 40 Year Old Virgin.'

10. :rofl:

11. GOGZILLA

yeah thats the point i never said dont sit back. some people just do it to such a great extent that it starts to fold you over and pull you forward

12. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

. they are fucking awesome :bigthumb:
    As far as the squating goes, the bar is more or less going to have to stay over your feet/heals or you will just fall on your ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.