Box squats vs reg squats?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by torchC5, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times, but I'm fairly new to this section so I thought I would ask anyway. I've recently switched from regular squats to box squats. Reason being I want to increase my overall squat strength and I've heard & read that box squats are the way to do it. I'm trying it out for a few months, and then will switch back. On my regular squats I usually go pretty low, just below 90 degrees, and with box squats I go even lower. I can't lift as much weight doing box as I do regualr, but I don't think that's the point. My question is, has anyone switched to box squats, and have you noticed a significant increase in your strength once you go back to regular squats?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

The box squat is a posterior chain movement (hammies, glutes, lower back, abs, and calves), whereas a closer stance, deep squat is a very quad dependent movement. If you can't move as much weight, its probably because you have a weak posterior chain (most people do).

The real question is how are you planning on squatting for now on? If you are going to stay with a close stance, I don't believe you will get a big carryover from box to regular. If you are willing to change your stance a bit, you will get a significant advantage from doing box squats.

I'd recommend finding the EFS squat index online, it explains how to properly box squat and also details some good accessory movements to get your posterior chain up to speed.

Do some reading up on www.elitefts.com

3. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

I do box squats every once in a while simply to practice form. When the weights get heavy I have a hard time sitting back. Instead I just sort of lower my body. I do box squats to practice the "sitting" motion.

4. damM3

damM3 Active Member

I don't do squats, I play hockey..

5. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

Great info! I generally like to stand with my legs a bit wider then shoulder length. I can go wider, but I just have to get used to the new position. And hit the nail on the head, I have a fairly weak posterior chain, more in my core (lower back especially). I feel a lot of strain trying not to lean forward on my squats, but I fight it for the sake of the reps. I'm doing deadlifts and other core movements during my workouts. I'll take a look at the elitefts.com site for more info.

Thanks!

6. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

If you can search for the EFS vid on here called "Squat" It is extremely helpful.

7. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

Thanks, will do.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Train your lower body 2x a week, box squat on Day 1, then olympic back squat or front squat on Day 2

9. TZ

TZ Banned

where would deadlifts go

10. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

I usually train lower 2x a week, though I haven't really thought of switching it up. :dunno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.