Bought WinXP Home...freezes up my pc.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Johnny Chimpo, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

so i bought winxp home sp2....OEM. and for some reason, it installs, then before it gets to the desktop...it freezes.

i was on a 30 day trial, i reformatted and reinstalled with the new one i bought. and it just keeps freezing.

but when i put back that 30 day trial on, it works(which is why i can come here and ask for help).

anyone else ever had this problem or have a solution?

thanks in advance.

2. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

you *bought* XP home?

like actually paid for it? :hsugh:

your solution is to replace it with XP pro

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Maybe you can use the CD key from the one you bought to active the trial version?

4. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

ya i did. i always thought with xp you had to have a unique key or else it would always expire.

why does d/ling Pro not require this?

5. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

I don't DL it, I have access to enterprise versions of everything microsoft :mamoru:

6. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

hook a brotha up?

7. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

no, I get them from work :o

EDIT: also, I have every single registration key for every single current product you can buy from Adobe

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

:ugh: Home may lack a few features compared to Pro, but its the same damn OS. If he doesn't need to join a domain, NTFS permissions, use two CPUs, or run a remote desktop server, Home is fine. Stability is exactly the same. People who just HAVE to have Pro without knowing why are the same people that buy a 4x4 offroad and towing package to drive on asphalt to the grocery store.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

To the original poster, I'm not sure what a 30 day trial is. You mean you just didn't activate it? Are you saying you had a different version of XP? Maybe the old one was SP1 and the new one being SP2 is causing a problem with some hardware. Try pulling all the cards out and reloading. Also, try flashing the BIOS.

10. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

meh it is ok if you have never used pro before, but my wife had home on her PC and I kept finding shit that home didn't do that pro will do, so I put pro on it.

4 wheel drive sure comes in handy if you ever need to go offroad between trips to the store...

11. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo New Member

how do i flash the bios?

12. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

if I were you I wouldn't fuck with it, that isnt gonna solve your problem anyway. Just wait until tuesday :mamoru:

13. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm comparing it to people who buy all the offroad BS and never touch anything but concrete and asphalt. Its like people who want to show off their e-dick by getting Pro and couldn't name any features Pro has over Home, much less use any of them. "But it says 'Pro', it must be better!"

14. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

good point. Home actually isnt all that bad, but I am so used to using pro at work that I would come home and use my wife's computer and be like :weak:

15. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah it can be a pain when you're trying to do something like set a folder permission and you're like, "Where the FUCK is the tab?!?!" for a few seconds until you realize you're on Home.

16. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

thats actually *exactly* what pissed me off enough to go to pro :mamoru: