Bought Unconverter DVD Player, not much different then with Component?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Capo Di Tutti, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Capo Di Tutti

Capo Di Tutti 24/Heroes/DSLR Crew OT Supporter

I just picked up the Samsung 755 from Frys for $70, and hooked it up to my panasonic tv thru hdmi and i dont see much difference then with Component. Is that how all of these unconverter dvd players are? I thought I'd get a little better picture.

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

are you sure it's set up right? Do you have it set to upscale to your tv's native resolution?

I've heard the Samsung upconverting players aren't that good. If you want a good one, get the oppo, I've heard nothing but praises for it.

3. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

Dont expect to see a difference.

4. Capo Di Tutti

Capo Di Tutti 24/Heroes/DSLR Crew OT Supporter

Yeah, it was all set up right, I put in the new movie Into the Blue and it looked pretty good on that, but still similar to progressive. I'll probably end up keeping it because I was using a non-progressive dvd player before so this is a lot better then that, and I cant beat $70.

5. paul9luap

paul9luap Boiler Up

From what I've read, most reviews of upconverting HDMI DVD players that are under $150 aren't very enthusiastic about them.

I have my computer connected through component to my HDTV, and have the signal being upconverted to 1080i (Nvidia 6600 GT OC) and I notice a substantial difference in brightness and sharpness compared to progressive scan on my Sony stand alone dvd player.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=870&page_number=1

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006