Bought This Today...Cheap Rams EAKS!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Battousai, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Battousai

Battousai New Member

I went ahead and did so more searching online about cheap/good ram to use in my iBook. Several sites suggest that all ram sticks are compatible, just have to be careful, and you would only pay extra money for special designed ram...yada yada yada...didnt want to pay extra for crap!

I came across several people using Kingmax for ram, and then I decided...hey if that is working no problems, then why not some Kingston Valueram? :rolleyes:

So here is what I got...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820172102

Should be here I hope in 2/3 days...and I will all let ya know how it went. The way I look at it, is if it works AWSOME...if not, just pay the restocking fee....And then others will know never to buy that for an iBook...

So keep your fingers crossed!

2. Battousai

Battousai New Member

YIPPY!!

Got OS Tiger in the mail today!!!

And Yesterday I got my Airport Express Base Staion...

These are the three updates I have done for my iBook....I've had it for over a year now, and love it!!

Its the (800MHz) just incase anybody didnt read that in the other post I have been in :)

3. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Report Time...

So got the ram in the mail...took two days for newegg to deliver "awsome"
    But the ram DOES NOT WORK...:wtc:

My mac would start up, and then freeze...at first I thought maybe it needs to get use to it, but 5 start ups didnt do anything, "also thought maybe it was shapeshifter, but thats just stupid...."

So will be returning the ram today....

So, how is everybody like Crucial?? At least something cheaper than what apple is charging!

Suggestions....

4. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Are you sure that you seated the RAM completely? Did you try moving the DIMM to a different slot in your computer??

5. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

are you sure your macs can handle as much ram as you put in? not physically, but there are software limits to how much ram you can put in certain computers.

6. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

try resetting the pram. Were you getting a kernal panic?

7. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Ummmm,

Well, its a stick of 512...there is only one slot for the Ram, and I put it in right...but like, I would start the iBook, and it would boot, and it seemed to work fine, but then all the sudden I saw a bunch of computer code, and it was locked up!

iBook (800MHz) can only have a total of 640...the onboard 128+512.....

I dont know anything about resetting the Pram??

Also, from what I said above, only one slot to put into the iBook...so I know I had it in right...

After taking out that ram, and then putting in back the 128 stick that came with the iBook, "samsung"...it booted with zero problems...

So I mean, I tried alot of things....

I already went through Newegg to return the item, going to FedEx tomorrow to return...but it was a "lost cause"

I am now thinking of just going with Crucial, or Kingston Apple Designed Ram...

Wish this would have worked, "dont know, or think a resetting of the pram would have done the trick"

But thats about all I can say...there is a local apple store "not a real one" but maybe they might have some ram there for a quick fix....

Add your imput, and I will keep ya posted on my Ram Advertures...

Thanks for the info so far guys

8. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Just to let y guys know I tried resetting the Pram, just incase that would work....

and it didnt at all...

Thanks for the tips though....I really like kingston, just Apple is picky on ram sometimes...