Bought new processor, system crashes. think you could help me fix it? :hs:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CarGoBOOM, Oct 6, 2005.

1. CarGoBOOM

CarGoBOOM Active Member

bought a new processor and the system crashes when I tried to put it in :wtc:
    system specs:

DFI mobo
    512 generic ddr pc3200 ram
    brand new thermaltake 400W power supply (says 450W on the box :dunno: )
    12/6 6800le stock (no overclocking)
    athlon 2000+
    sata hard drive + ide hard drive + 2 optical drives + cooling for both hard drives
    turtle beach catalina

i bought a 3000+ 400mhz fsb athlon XP cause my mobo supposedly supports it but my system crashes when i try to do anything too memory intensive or graphic intensive.

at first it ran and booted up fine (in the lowest setting that is)
    but then when i ran 3d mark it froze. i restarted and tried to run everything in fail safe/safe mode but it wouldnt boot windows. mobo would boot just fine it just wouldnt boot windows.

i also noticed that the temperature of the processor was about 48C after i tried to re-install windows, is that bad? also it always froze at mup.sys when booting from the hard drive windows install or the setup after everything was loaded when trying to reinstall windows.

i think i narrowed it down to memory or the power supply but im thinking its more a memory problem, what do you guys think?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if you're getting errors when installing windows, it's 9 times out of 10 a memory problem.
    hit up www.memtest86.com, grab the bootable iso file and run that.