bought my macbook today, having display problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Nov 25, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

went out to the apple store, about a 40 min drive. it was packed, black friday crowd. bought a 2ghz white macbook, the one with the super drive and a gig of ram. also got applecare
    (it was cheaper with my educational discount than with the black friday discount.)

anyways, get home open it up, it's gorgeous

however, i soon notice that it has some tiny little pixels that are flickering rapidly. they aren't just in one area, but sort of spread around the screen, but they almost form a diagonal line starting from the middle of the left side of the screen, going down to the middle of the dock. there also seems to be a couple of horizontal lines of them, but it's only made up of maybe 15 or so messed up pixels

i thought they were stuck pixels, so i ran the pixel fixer video, no luck. some just sit there at a certain color, but when i move a window over them, they don't behave like stuck pixels. instead, they work fine, it sees that they are mostly noticible on the wallpaper, i tried changing it too and my display also

heres the wierd part, sometimes they are noticible, other times, i can't find them (they seem to dissappear for a few minutes after i resume from sleep). they flicker like i have something staticy too close to the screen. that not the case though, i tried it at my girls house and in my car too and i got the same result

what should i do? i don't want to make a 40 min trip out to the apple store, only to have the pixels not show up as being messed up. should i call applecare? i don't quite know what to tell them

cliffs - got a new mac book, it has bunches of rapidly flicking pixels throughout the screen

2. Lat

Lat New Member

take it back to the store.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

drive the 40 minutes and exchange it or take it to the genious bar...
    call apple care if you want, they'll give you some things you can try, and if worse comes to worse, you'll have to send it in (about 5-10 days without your computer)

so yeah, take it in would be my advice

4. dorkultra

the problem is that i can't always produce the display problems. i was trying to show my parents and at that time, the pixels were fine.

i don't want to open up my macbook to some wierd dude at the genius bar and it looks perfect to both of us

apple doesn't do advance replacement warranties? you'd think that would be an option, with the high cost of applecare and all

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

just take it in and ask for an exchange...
    simple as that...
    Genious Bar people are pretty cool, and apple takes care of their customers...

6. dorkultra

do i just bring in the macbook or do i need all the other stuff?

now the problem has seemed to have fixed itself, well see if it comes back

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

take everything, it's a small enough box. just leave it in your car if you have to incase they ask for it.

8. dorkultra

nope, problem is still there.
    i will probably head out to the apple store in the morning. it's really noticible when you use photobooth, i guess thats the best way of reproducing the problem
    it's weird though, after resuming from sleeping, it's not there, then it just shows up a few minutes later

9. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

Bad Inverter. Take it back to the store.

10. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

take it back, Apple is pretty good about exchanges and customer service. No point in getting a machine that might have made it out the door not quite right.

11. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

40 min drive.