GUN Bought an SKS over the weekend..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sorny, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I have 2 pistols and 2 shotguns in the safe right now but I have never owned a rifle somehow. I only hunt rabbit and squirrel, so I always just used a .410 shotgun and for defensive purposes I had my pistols. Anyways, wanted a rifle forever, especially an AK47 or an SKS and finally got an SKS over the weekend. THEN I find out, when I'm paying for it, that ammo is hard to find now or at least cheap ammo.

Anyone know where I can look and what I can expect to pay for say, 500 rounds? I bought a 40 round "value pack" of Winchester at Wal-Mart for $16+tax the other day and I wasn't too happy with that, but the $12/box of 20 at the gun shop wasn't any better. I passed on a Mosin Nagant because I figured the 7.62x54R would be more expensive then 7.62x39 but they had tons of surplus 54R ammo for almost nothing.

Also, where can I find the grenades and grenade launching rounds for my SKS (It's a Yugo) ;) j/k!

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Check cheaperthandirt.com and sportsmansguide.com for ammo, cheaperthandirt had 7.62 in stock when i was browsing there ammo the other day, at the moment its backordered at alot of places supposedly should be back to normal in the spring :dunno: I picked up a 640 round spam can of Wolf from sportsmansguide for $54 shipped after using online coupon code a couple months ago.
    I dunno if anyones still got them but awhile back a few places had dummy practice grenades for it, I think you launch them with blanks :dunno:

3. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Thanks for the sites for ammo.

I was joking about the grenade launcher, I didn't figure I could find the rounds (blanks may be right as they still put out the gasses I guess) and the grenades especially (never thought of dummies).

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A few people on some of the other boards I'm on got the dummies and have successfully launched them so the stuff is out there. Trying to think of other ammo sites, my desktop pc has all my bookmarks and the power supply is fried in it. sometimes centerfiresystems.com has decent ammo specials, ammoman.com,
    ammunitionstore.com

5. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

I just ordered one of those 640rd spam cans from sportsmansguide. There out as of now but "supposed" to be getting some in feb 20.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feb 20th they say? Ok well then if your order goes like mine expect it to arrive around May 5th.

7. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

Nooo:wtc: Oh well if it does, I'm not in any big hurry.

8. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I saw that sportsmansguide has it scheduled for Feb 20th, but from what I read on another forum you really shouldn't expect it for a LONG time if ever. Said it keeps getting pushed back.

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I ordered in mid Oct or so from sportsmanguide said it was due to be shipped in like a week, 2 weeks later another notice, 2 weeks it'll ship.. few more weeks another notice...... Finally it came the first or second week of Jan. I would of cancelled except I wasn't in a hurry i got a few thousand rounds of 7.62 stockpiled, and noone else could beat that price $54ish shipped for 640 rd's.

10. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

Yeah I ordered about a month ago, they said it was backordered till 2/16 and now they sent me mail stating it won't be until 3/27

11. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I fired mine today. I was surprised. I flinched because I expected recoil to be pretty harsh, like a 12 gauge shotgun or worse. Dunno why, I just haven't shot any rifles besides .22's mostly. It wasn't that loud and I didn't hardly even feel it in my shoulder. After seeing a bunch of 1" rubber recoil pads for sale on eBay I just assumed it would be wicked.

12. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

The recoil is pretty minimal on the SKS. The fact that it's a semi-automatic helps out a lot too.

13. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

If you want to play with the grenade launcher, find a stockpile of blanks, and check out www.surplusrifle.com

Last I checked, they had an article about a golf ball launcher that bolts right onto the grenade launcher attachement that comes on the SKS.

14. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

Those things are a bitch to open :rofl:

15. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

also the grenade launcher only works correctly if it isnt drilled out... check the end of it alot of them come in already drilled i think they do it for californistan

16. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Very cool purchase. Its still on my list of things to buy.

the list gets bigger every day.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: I'de like to pick up an albanian SKS just cause they aren't common, I'de like to get another SKS-D too I stupidly got rid of the one I had years ago.. I will never catch upto my list though unless I win the lotto or something but I did buy $145mil megamilion ticket tonite :x:

18. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

well good luck with that investment strategy, haha:x:.

Some of my purchases will have to wait until im 21. Next up is a 30=06 rifle for range/ hunting. then the SKS most likely.

19. mrbill

mrbill New Member

+1

20. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Where?