Bought a Samsung HDTV, need some help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Q-Ball, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Q-Ball

Q-Ball Insert Creative Text Here

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-8043&qp=0&oid=96280&m=0
    I bought this tv earlier today and am having a few problems, I was hoping someone might be able to offer me some suggestions as to if I'm setting something up wrong or what. Mainly I'm a little disappointed in the quality of it for xbox. The tv looks good for movies and regular tv but xbox just isn't cutting it even with high def cables. The other downside is my cable company here at school doesn't offer a hdtv package. Both the tv and xbox seem to have some jaggedness to the picture. I don't know if I'm setting something up wrong or its just because of the lack of hdtv support from the cable company or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. kosstamogen

kosstamogen New Member

If your HD projection TV is anything like mine it looks terrible with normal broad casts compared to HD broadcasts. I can't even look at regular TV because it just looks so crappy. The problem is that since my tv is a projection it tends to magnify everything bigger especially flaws in picture and static. Sitting close makes it even worse for me, which I would do if I had a ps2 or xbox. When I watch actual HDTV with my OTA turner, I don't have any of these problems and it's very sharp.

Have you tried to do some type of convergence tuning? My tv has a 9pt standard convergence but there is a service menu that can be accessed (through info on the internet) to do a 56pt which should make a bigger difference. Some newer ones have a default 56pt at least for toshiba.

I heard Xbox supported 720p resolutions, but I also heard there were only a handful of games that supported that resolution. Im not too sure about this though.

Lastly, some people on www.avsforums.com tell me that if you really are upset with picture quality you can do sometype of $300 in home professional tuning of a bunch of different stuff. People say it makes a big difference but i haven't tried it.