Bought a "open box" iMac at Best Buy, now I'm getting shafted, no warranty...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MikeTheVike1, Sep 3, 2009.

1. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

I bought an "open box" iMac at Best Buy, 2008 model. Best Buy told me I would have the full 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Knowing Best Buy can be shady to make a sale, I called TWO apple stores and they confirmed I would have the manufacturer's warranty and I could also purchase AppleCare on it. Awesome, so I buy it.

Well I had to fax in a copy of my receipt to change my date of purchase to update the warranty in their system. No problem, until a week later when I get an email from Apple saying it was rejected because it was an open box/ display model.

So I called Apple and talked to their nice rep. It sounded like he understood my problem and told me to resend the receipt, and make a note of the case number on it because he was going to make some notes in the system. Just got the same email today saying it was rejected.

I'm going to call Apple again and Best Buy. I'm past the return date, I would not have purchased it if I knew I would not have a warranty on it. I have a feeling Best Buy will just offer their service plan, which I know is junk.

I use a Mac every day at work. I can't believe I'm having these problems when I finally have a chance to buy a Mac for myself.

Cliffs: Bought "open box" iMac. Best Buy, and TWO apple stores confirm I will have 1 year manufacturers warranty. Warranty update gets rejected by apple twice now.

2. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

it just works.

3. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

That's bullshit. Bitch vehemently, document said bitch-batchage. They'll cave.

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

fag

5. Pepe

Pepe New Member

that sucks, did you get any confirmation that the warranty would be honored other than just word of mouth?

i just know how salespeople are, you could end up eating it hard on this one if you have any issues, sorry to hear. i would just keep trying, hopefully you get someone on a good day that can make it happen.

6. MikeTheVike1

I do remember what the guy at Best Buy looked like. I just think it's out of Best Buy's hands, bitching to them will probably get me nowhere. I planned on giving Apple more revenue by purchasing AppleCare on it. I just don't see why they are being so firm on this. I could even prove the computer is working fine now if that's what they are worried about.

I'm going to make some calls today if I can find some extra time while at work. Wish me luck

7. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

This is why I never buy open box from anywhere. :wiggle:

8. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

:werd:

if i was going to call about an open box computer, or anything for that matter, i would specifically say it is open box.

apple might be thinking its a fucked up mac to begin with and if we warranty this thing it will only cause problems for us...

if you bought it with a CC...give them a call and open a claim/dispute...see what they can do.

i know when my 17" mbp failed on me in 2003 out of warrenty (non-open box though), amex would have paid for me to fix it since they match the standard one year warranty. they also weigh the pros/cons of reparing it.. if it was too expensive to repair they would have reimbursed me for an amount equal to what i paid.

they didnt have to do anything since apple paid for it..but still, definitely call your CC and see whats up. it might just work out for you.

9. MikeTheVike1

I made sure when I called the Apple Stores that I gave them every detail. I even said I was in Best Buy looking at an "open box" item.

I will have to call my CC company if I do run into a problem. Although I think Amex has more protection than my CapitalOne mastercard, haha. But the computer is working fine now. I just wanted to have the year warranty in the system so I could purchase 3-year AppleCare to cover myself.

10. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

well it seems like are happy with everything except the fact that you cannot get any applecare.

I would at least call them up and check on their policy for electronics warranties etc.

so if there ever is a problem, you know what they cover and what they dont, how long they cover you etc, so you dont waste your time.

11. MikeTheVike1

Well, spent 40 minutes on the phone with a really nice Apple service guy. He contacted the AppleCare department and argued my case, but it's a no go. Tomorrow I will go see what Best Buy can do for me :(

12. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

:hsd:

try emailing the consumerist with the whole story when it's all over (if best buy shafts you too). sometimes massive public outrage can swing things in your favor.

13. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I'd rather have AppleCare, but the Best Buy plan isn't that bad. Since they're pretty fucking stupid to begin with, they'll usually fix or replace it and they can't fix much so guess what?

14. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

I did this too last year, Apple only covered me from the date of its original purchase, which was like 4mo prior. So I returned it to BestBuy and bought a new one from Apple.

Got a free iPod Touch too.

15. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

sell it.

16. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

This is exactly why I hate Bestbuy. Bunch of 16 year olds that don't know shit about anything.

17. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

bestbuy provides a warranty as new... therefore, if you have problems you take it to them with proof of purchase theyll cover your repairs for the full 1 year as opposed to apple covering it directly. The nice thing about that is that bestbuy has a rapid repair program and it will get fixed hella faster than apple, you also wont have to deal with the douchebags at apple...

18. MikeTheVike1

This is pretty much what they told me. Just in case I had the Geek Squad supervisor write it on my receipt. I will probably be good with a 1 year warranty, but I might look into the Square Trade insurance for it.

19. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I'd rather deal with "douchebags" at apple than complete fucking retards at best buy.

20. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i have not once met an apple genius that was smarter than my shoes.

21. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Can't you just not get apple care and pay for anything that breaks out of pocket? Doesn't seem like its too much of a problem at all. Also, why not wait until its broken within the first year to argue a warranty?

22. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

IMO it's better to have it taken care of before somthing goes wrong rather than when you have a problem.

23. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

But couldn't they deny it again then? At least then you are using your efforts on something that requires your effort. I am not a huge believer in warranties except on any more exotic vehicles I buy (AMG, M, SRT, RUF). I think everyones milage will vary.

24. MikeTheVike1

They could deny it, but that's why I had a supervisor make a note and sign it on the receipt. Easier to show that when something goes wrong than throw a tantrum because I was supposed to have a warranty.

25. hellsspawn

hellsspawn New Member

I couldnt agree more. I was once told "we are not able to warranty repair as you used your notebook improperly. It is in fact a "notebook" and not a "laptop", It must be used on a hard surface. This means that you have used your mac beyond the purposes it was designed to serve"