Bought a new comp, BIOSTAR Mobo is bad

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nickelleon, May 22, 2006.

1. nickelleon

nickelleon not nickelodeon

First off, im somewhat technical. I can and have built my computer before along with other people. However, my computer is getting really old and I need to upgrade it. I dont want the hassle of newegging all the parts and putting it together, I want some instant gratification this time.

I head to CompUSA and check out the computers there. I find one that is pretty decent. AMD 64 dual core processors. 2GB RAM. GeForce FX 7800. 240GB SATA HDD. All preconfigured and ready to sell. I ask the guy if he has any of these in the back that I can buy, he goes to check and says that the one on the show floor is the last one. I said ill take it, I will just need the Windows CD/Key so I can format/reinstall Windows (there were names of shortcuts called PENIS, etc, god knows what else is messed up).

I buy it, take it home and plug everything in. It all looks nice, runs awesome and connected to the internet automatically (I use a router). I restart the comp and boot from Windows CD and continue to install windows while formatting the HDD. Once windows was done installing, I load it up and voila. No internet.

Device Manager didnt even see the onboard NIC on the BIOSTAR TForce4 U motherboard. I checked BIOSTAR's website (on another comp) and couldnt find any drivers or anything. I tried opening up a PCI bay but all the bays are sodered (sp?) to the cage.

What should I do? Return the comp? Ask CompUSA for the CD's that came with the motherboard? Has anyone experienced this problem or have suggesstions for fixing this? Thanks

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

You need the drivers for the onboard NIC. If Biostar doesn't have them I would go back to CompUSA and ask for the motherboard drivers.

It's often cheaper to go to a personal computer store and customize a PC and have it built for you that day than deal with the box-stores. With a good computer like you outlined above you probably would have paid around the same, but would have gotten quality components and better service if you needed anything.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you didn't install the NIC driver, I guarantee you didn't install the chipset driver or video card driver.

Please return the computer and do as JaJae suggests. Go to a good PC shop (not circuit city, not best buy, not comp usa, not fry's, etc) and have one built with QUALITY parts.

1) Asus motherboard. nForce4 chipset
    2) AMD Retail CPU
    3) Corsair Dual Channel Kit Memory
    4) Seagate Hard Drive
    5) NEC/Sony/Lite-On Optical Drives
    6) XFX/BFGTech/MSI/Asus Video card

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've seen instances where not installing chipset-specific drivers causes parts of the computer to mysteriously not work, and I've seen instances where Windows has automatically detected exactly what all the hardware is and installed the appropriate drivers on its own; one time, Windows rejected the chipset drivers I had on CD as being somehow "less worthy" than the drivers Windows was bundled with. Whatever the case may be, installing the proper chipset driver (downloaded using a computer that can connect to the internet) won't break anything that isn't already non-functional.

I've also seen quite a few onboard NICs get fried due to causes I was not present to witness, and if installing the manufacturer-provided drivers doesn't make the NIC work right, then this is probably what's happened to you. Display units take a hell of a beating. You could take the computer back to CompUSA and try to get them to repair it, but a lot of stores won't warranty open-box items.

So, if installing the drivers doesn't help, your best bet is (as Jollyogre said) to return the computer to CompUSA -- if they'll take it back -- and either buy a custom rig from a reputable computer shop or buy a prebuilt from one of the big computer companies. Personally, I'm a fan of custom rigs -- you know what parts are going into the box and so it's much easier to avoid getting cheap crap hidden in places you're unlikely to notice before the warranty expires.